GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ngorr Ciise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 09:12:37 +0000
Another Black Monday has dawned. This time it is journalists - Gambian
journalists who have to take stock of another time bomb or sword of Damocles
hanging over their heads.

This is in the forms of the National Media Commission Bill which has all
chances of being enacted going by the doggedly partisan nature of the
National Assembly, which is currently discussing it. Wit h its possible
passing into law, the multi-faceted fight against the private press, albeit
waged covertly, will have assumed a new depth and dimension.

Although Gambian journalists are as a matter of principle not really against
the introduction of a Media Commission that would for the sake of fairness
seek to strengthen the standard of the media and empower journalists, we
find very inimical provisions in the Bill, which negates freedom of the
press, the rule of law and democracy. We will not hesitate to point out that
its harbours quasi-judicial powers among which is to fine and imprison
journalists who are found to have violated certain required codes of
conduct. Moreover, the registration of journalists and media houses also
glaring contradicts Article 19 of the Universal Declaration on the freedom
of expression as propounded by the United Nations. The Bill is also
discriminatory against the private press, while the state media is left well
alone. The composition of the proposed Commission, which includes the
Teachers' Union, the Women's Bureau, the Supreme Islamic Council and the
Christian Council and one representative from The Gambia Press Union is
suspect because those bodies save the GPU have really nothing to do with
trying to strengthen the standard of journalism in The Gambia. Thus we would
not hesitate to point out that it is a naked attempt to regulate the
workings of the press - a move we would vehemently oppose. We as journalists
should be left to regulate ourselves without any capricious nose-poking. The
GPU has already came out with codes of conduct for journalists, which would
improve the way with work and reset the standards over how we relate to the
rest of society. Another insipid provision buried in the Bill is the power
of the President to appoint the Chairman of the Media Commission.

Going by the nature of those who were appointed by the president in other
areas, we would be correct to assert that they would be hand picked to serve
the whims and caprices of an individual. We already know who will head such
a Commission and we are convinced even after the shot has been fired that,
the private press will be the only target. We know that President Jammeh is
really press-shy and would do all in his powers to silence the cannons of
the private media, which had demonstrated that they cannot be cowed into
subservience. But this is a crude way to reward the private press, which is
the factor behind the credit given to Gambian democracy. Is it the way to
recognise the fact that the private press is the only asset for propping up
Gambian democracy because of its vibrancy. History would remember us as
having warned National Assembly members to stay their hands off that
Bullying Bill, because one day in the future, their own sons and daughters
would be caught by its draconian nature. Assembly members who vote for
anything without assessing their values should take note, before history
looks at them with a bad eye.