GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jul 2002 21:25:03 +0200
Below is the FOROYAA Burning Issues of - Issue No 37. The topics in the
issue are:

1. Editorial - Crime And Punishment
2. The First Eye To Eye Contact Since 21st July 1994 - Jawara Appears
Jovial And Jammeh Contemplative
3. Regional Course On Payment, Clearing And Settlement Systems
2. Focus On The Gambia's Economic Situation - CONTINUED FROM LAST
ISSUE

---------------

NO: 37/2002         27 - 30 June, 2002

Editorial
Crime And Punishment

 No To Imprisonment For Minor Crimes!!

Newspapers have been reporting cases where people convicted of minor
cases are sentenced to imprisonment instead of being fined as an alternative
form of punishment. It is not an ordinary matter when a person commits an
offence by violating the rights of others. It is also not an ordinary matter when
a mother, father, son, breadwinner is removed from the family and kept away
for months and years without means to contribute to the welfare of his/her
loved ones. Hence society must come to terms with the nature or degree of
offences that merit imprisonment.

In our view, there is need for the criminal justice system to debate this issue.
Judges and magistrates should not take the posture of tyrants to be feared.
They must assume the role of protectors and enforcers of justice who should
be respected.

Administrators of law prove their competence and viability by ensuring that
justice is done and is seen to be done. Such judges and magistrates who
can be considered to be competent must reach verdict and sentences that
even the offender can consider to be just. It is such magistrates and judges
who can be the guardians of a just criminal justice system.

In our view, it is both unjust and irrational to send offenders to prison for minor
crimes. It is unjust because the courts are not exercising parental roles.
They are there to administer the law. Society has separated major and minor
crimes to show that offences have degrees in perpetrating harm or injustice.
Punishment is the actual sentencing which either deprives the person of
property or liberty. Other forms of punishment like corporal ones should be
kept out of our law books because it amounts to an inhumane and degrading
punishment.

It goes without saying that keeping a person imprisoned for months and
years for a minor offence means that the person would lose thousands of
dalasis or lost opportunities. His/her trial would impose the burden of court
appearances and visits to prisons on family members as well as cause them
emotional strain and social stigma if society is not properly oriented. On the
other hand a fine would add money to the state coffers. Just fines should
therefore be an alternative to imprisonment for minor crimes.

The First Eye To Eye Contact Since 21st July 1994

Jawara Appears Jovial And Jammeh Contemplative

On 24th June Ex- President Jawara went to the state house to visit President
Jammeh. People wondered what the cameras would reveal. There were no
major surprises. However, Ex-president Jawara's comments did lend
credibility to FOROYAA's advice that no one should speak for Ex-president
Jawara; that he should be left to speak for himself.

Contrary to all the comments that Ex-President Jawara felt dishonoured  and
restricted, he managed to even show some excitement during his interview
after his visit to state house. He stated that the delay in his coming was due
president Jammeh's desire to modernise his residence to a standard
comparable to what it was before the coup detat. Ex-president Jawara
narrated this with enthusiasm to show his satisfaction. He also narrated how
he was given protocol
by a high powered delegation sent by president Jammeh. What is therefore
visible is that Ex-President Jawara feels comfortable with the new
arrangement. The relevant tent of his comments is as follows:

        "His Excellency the president, Yahya Jammeh made a very
important statement during the inauguration after the   presidential
election. And he extended an unconditional amnesty to me, my family and
inviting me to end my asylum and        come home. This is why I came
home in response to his statement. Well it has been great, I am wonderfully
back, as you know I have missed so many members of my family and the
Gambian people in general. That statement of president Jammeh facilitated
my return. In many, many countries, ah! He renovated my house, he caused
it to be renovated to a very high standard. Infact It needed a major one, and
this is what had happened. I returned and found it in excellent condition it
was that work that actually delayed my return because he was anxious that I
should come to my own home and when I come, the home should be in
excellent condition and this might have even been higher than when I left it.
        (Laughs)

        "And then he made my travel back from UK to the Gambia, he
facilitated that. He sent a high powered delegation to accompany me and my
family back home. So it was wonderful to meet him and to discuss with him
generally.

        I have a feeling that this gesture of the president inviting me to come
back home and facilitating my return, I think will contribute to National
reconciliation and harmony and so on. And I'm back here as an elder
statesman and my role will be one of an elder statesman and not getting
back to active party politics but having my advice and my experience, putting
them at the disposal of the president and the nation at large."

        President Jammeh was interviewed he also expressed that his basic
concern was Ex-president Jawara's comfort. The relevant tent is as follows: "I
feel that I have nothing against him and the past is a past. I feel good that he
has come back to the Gambia which is unprecedented in the history of
Africa, to come back home and settle as an elderly statesman. I have
nothing against him really. I have nothing personally against him and as I
said it does not do the         country any good by him continuing to live in exile.
So it is good to see him again. I remember that I last saw him on the 21st of
July 1994 at the airport. Since then I did not see him, seven years now. So I
also wanted to know     whether he is comfortable, his living condition, etc at
his home and I am happy to know that there is no problem
whatsoever."

In that respect, there was no course for concern.

 Ex-President Jawara's role in the second republic

The role that ex-president Jawara is to play in the second republic has been
a matter of speculation. Members of his party have been unable to tell the
press what Mr. Jawara's next move was going to be. He also has not broken
the silence he returned. The first visit to the state house offered the nation the
opportunity to hear ex-president Jawara speak for himself. He had indicated
that he will serve as an elderly statesman under the second republic to
promote peace and reconciliation and offer any advice to government and the
nation that could be of benefit. The relevant text of his interview is as follows:

        "Well, my greetings to all Gambians without exception and apart
from greeting them, I am saying that I am extremely happy to be back in the
Gambia after so long gone. And I hope our coming back will contribute to
national         reconciliation, national harmony, peace and progress."

President Jammeh also indicated that Ex-President Jawara is not here to
collaborate  on the political front but to offer advice where he wishes to do so.
The relevant section in his interview is as follows:

        "Well, as an elder statesman, he has a lot of experience, in so many
areas, politically, in terms of leadership and so with his experience also to
serve the country because that is what his intention is, to contribute to the
                socio-economic development of his country so why not. We
will work with him where and when necessary and we will give him all the
necessary support. So don't misconstrue it as working  with him politically,
no. but he is an old man with a lot of experience, he has been in power for 30
years. So where he can render advice he is welcome."

Reflection

The Jammeh/ Jawara meeting  marks the end of one period and the
beginning of another period in the history of the Gambia.

The major parties in government and opposition during the first republic were
ex-president Jawara and ex-opposition leaders, Sheriff Dibba. Mr. Dibba a
has stated in no uncertain terms that he has conceded to president
Jammeh's leadership as God determined. Ex-President Jawara offered his
services to him as an experienced former head of state. The only political
party in the first republic which maintains active and independent political
leadership is PDOIS.

As we move into the second five years of the existence of the second
republic fundamental changes are required to shape a new political destiny
for the country.

During the past seven years the absence of ex-president Jawara and Mr.
Sheriff Dibba been utilised to build an anti Jammeh front. The masses were
given the impression that ex-president Jawara was building  an array which
would one day invade and bring him back; others build political support by
raising sentiments regarding his manner of removal. Some utilised tribal
reasoning and pin hope of ex-president Jawara or Mr. Dibba as redeemers. A
party like PDOIS was accused by the supporters of the two sides as a
collaborator of the regime and the ultimate beneficiary from the coup detat.

Now, these same people are saying that it is good for Mr. Dibba to accept
the role of speaker to promote peace in the country and for Mr. Jawara to be
an elderly statesman.

There is no need for political hair splitting. All Gambians must now agree.
The tribe, place of origin or blood ties do not  matter in shaping the future of
the country. What matters is the empowerment of the people and the building
of structures that will lead any government to promote their general welfare or
be removed by them. Gambians should not give up all the castigations and
rampling and deal soberly with issues of national significance.

President Jammeh should not draw the lesson that  leadership is transient
and not permanent. Both Jawara and Dibba are seen to be from major
language grouping. However, it avails them nothing today to promote affirmity
tribe. President Jammeh should not do away  with any pretence that gives
him any affimity to a language grouping and promote the new nationalist
politics that Africa is demanding to promote its unity.

Other opposition parties should promote the strategies of an alternative
government. They should avoid personalising politics and judging regimes on
the basis of the tribal affimity of their leaders. They should concentrate on
issues and draw the attention of the people to alternative strategies for their
empowerment and development. One expect the members of the opposition
to be critical, objective, constructive and convincing.

Finally, the Gambian people of all political shades who have insulted each
other and fought on behalf of their political patrons should now put on their
thinking caps. They should not be angry and accuse patrons of abandoning
them. They should know that no person is worthy of being a citizen of a
sovereign republic unless he or she owns his or her mind and know what is
his or her  interest. Such a person can never be fooled or betrayed. This is
the time to construct a new Gambian electorate who will be mindful of their
enlightened interest when choosing leaders who would monitor developments
all sides of the political spectrum objectively during a government's five year
term, so that they will be able to make informed choices at the  end of the
term. This is the way forward. Welcome back ex-president Jawara.

Regional Course On Payment, Clearing
And Settlement Systems

The West African Institute for Economic Management is currently on a five
days, regional course on payment, clearing and settlement system at the
TAFBEL  Hotel in Kololi. The course participants are drawn from English
speaking West Africa
including Guinea.

In his keynote address to the participants at the opening, the Honorable
Governor of  the Central Bank of the Gambia Momodou Clerk Bajo opened
his speech with the following introductory remarks:

On behalf of the president, the government of the Gambia, the Central Bank
Board, the Board of WAIFEM  welcomed all participants and resource
persons  who came to  the Gambia.

He thanked Dr. Chuis.O.Itsede the Director General of WAIFEM for holding
three workshops  here in Banjul; that the strategy has training to 23 senior
officials of the Central Bank including members of the National Parliament;
that the course is timely against the background of the renewed
determination to integrate the financial and payment systems of ECOWAS
countries.

On WAIFEM Mr. Bayo said was established in 1996 July by the Central
Banks of the Gambia, Ghana, Liberia Nigeria and Sierra Leone Principally to
strengthen capacity for economic and financial management in the member
countries. That
WAIFEM in this context has targeted its training and capacity building at the
middle/senior executive officials of Central banks, economic ministries and
public sector agencies responsible of Macro policy formulation and
implementation.

Governor Bayo then  went further to challenge the experts to provide indept
insight and perspective on the theme  at the course by  providing a
discussion on some of the basic elements of the course  e.g. (a) What is
meant by payment
system? (b) Payment system and economic development (c) Role of Central
Bank in payment system (d) Efficient payment systems issues for West
Africa.

Finally, governor Bayo outlined the objectives of the workshop as principally
designed to improve the participants understanding of what is meant by
payment, clearing and settlement systems,clearing and settlement systems,
reform process
and also strengthen their analytical capacity to evaluate and manage  risks
inherent in the system.

He then gave the breakdown of the specific ones as follows:

(1) examine, in-depth, some of the key risks and efficiency issues that have
to be faced by Central Banks and trade offices that maybe necessary.

(b) Strengthen analytical capacity to evaluate and manage risks inherent in
these systems and to be able to efficiently perform over sight   function of
payment, cleaning and settlement system.

(3)consider new developments and trends in payment, cleaning and
settlement systems and how they  are being addressed by central banks.
The welcome address was given by the  Director General of WAIFEM Dr.C.O
Itsede and the vote of thanks by Mrs.M.S. Foon, Programme Officer Macro
Economic Management  WAIFEM.

Focus On The Gambia's Economic Situation
CONTINUED FROM LAST ISSUE

We have been focusing on the economic situation with the objective of
creating more awareness on   economic  issues, not only on  the Gambia but
also on global economic issues.

As of now, we will be dealing  with our  national economy which of course
cannot be completely separated from the  world economy.

In the last issue, we  delved into the Gambia Human Development Report
2002, which has as its objective to promote good governance for Human
Development and Poverty Eradication.

From what the report has said so far on our economic  situation, on
Agriculture, Tourism, the industrial sector, and Employment. The report
highlighted constraints in this sector such as over dependence on traditional
implements and tools, poor technology which has implications on productivity
 levels. The report recommends  that  what is crucial is to address these
problems if Gambia' development aspirations as indicated in the vision 2020
is to be achieved.

Tourism

On tourism, the report states that this sector is  vital and continue to account
for between 10 to 12 per cent of the GDP, that  the introduction of the "All
Inclusive Package" could act to undermine some of the potential gains from
this sector in terms of direct benefit to nationals  operating in the industry. It
sort of applauded government for the steps it had taken to discontinue the
operation. It recommended that the sector needs to forge stronger linkages
with other productive sectors of the economy.

On the industrial sector, the report maintains that the sector accounts for
only about 11percent which is rather small. It says the sector is yet to exploit
in full potential in industrial sector. It further went on to itemise products
manufactured in the country such as soap, plastic  products, steel products
metal fabrication as well as groundnut decortication. It says the sector is
constrained by a number of factors, notably, lack of skilled personnel,
continuing shortages of basic utilities such as reliable  electricity supply and
water, an infrastructure base etc. It  says the sector lacks  meaningful
linkages with other sectors of the economy such as agriculture and Tourism.

Employment

On employment which it says is an important indicator of economic welfare
of a nation's people. The report say sthe formal or public sector, the
parastatals and the private sector all put together employs only 11% of the
labour force. It says government is the biggest employer in the formal sector
when compared to the parastatals. It criticised the  employment opportunities
 in the formal sector as bias for the men folk.

In this issue,we will continue to highlight the Human Development Report
2000 which is published by the UNDP, on what it says on Eductaion, and
Quality and Relevance of Education, and on the Health sector.

Education

The role of education in sustaining human development is becoming
increasingly important more so in this millennium. Education enables
individuals to enjoy fulfilling lives. In view  of this, government has undertaken
reforms in the
education sector with the view to meeting the challenges of the new
millennium.
There is a renewed emphasis on providing solid foundation for life-long
learning responsive to the needs of the nation, especially competencies in
science and technology.

Recently, there has been an upsurge of school structures, especially in the
rural areas reducing the constrains of physical access mainly to middle and
secondary school education. Notwithstanding, economic access remains a
constraints to poor households.

Attention is also being focused on functional literacy through non-formal
education programmes. This is because of the positive relationship between
literacy and poverty. With  the framework of the National Poverty Alleviation
Programme, government, supported  by its development partners, has
embarked on an integrated mass literacy programme.

Remarkable  improvements have been registered in the education  sector as
a result of government's commitment  to giving  the sector  the pivotal
position it deserves in the national development drive. For example, between
1983 and 1993, adult literacy rate increased from 24 percent to 37 percent.

Accordingly, there has been tremendous increase in access to primary
school education. Between 1990/91 and 1996/97, average annual growth rate
in primary enrolment was eight percent compared with the targeted five
percent and a school aged population growth rate of 4.3 percent. This
resulted in an increase in Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) from 59 percent in
1990 to 70 percent in 1996/97 also exceeding the policy target of 65 percent.
By 1998/99 GER has risen to 71.7 percent, slightly above the sub-Saharan
African average of 69 percent.

This notwithstanding, there remains significant differences between enrolment
of girls and boys. For instance, only 612 percent of girls of primary school
going age are enrolled in primary schools against 79 percent of boys
(Education Sector Public Expenditure Review, 1998).

Secondary level education, despite improvements, is still below acceptable
levels. In The Gambia, secondary education is at the moment divided into
junior and senior each of three years duration. The first three years forms an
integral part of nine year basic education.

Government junior secondary schools increased from 12 to 24 accounting for
an increase in transition from 30 percent in 1990/91 to 70 percent by
1996/97. The Gross Enrolment Ration rose from 22 percent to 39 percent
during the period under review.

The gross enrolment rate in senior secondary schools increased from 11
percent to 15 percent during this period. However, due to a large number of
over aged students at this level, partly due to repetition of the previous levels
and late entry into primary schools, the net enrolment ratio is a low two
percent.

Tertiary education is provided by four institutions - The Gambia College,
Gambia Technical Training Institute (GTTI), the Management Development
Institute (MDI), Gambia Telecommunications and Multimedia Institute (GTMI),
Rural Development Institute (RDI) and the University of the Gambia. Prior to
the establishment of a University in September 1999, St. Mary's University of
Canada operated an extension programme in the Gambia. Unfortunately,
statistics on the number of students enrolled in tertiary institutions  are not
available. It is, however, believed that there has been an increase in
enrolment at this level over the years.

Source: FOROYAA (Freedom)  NO: 37/2002  27 - 30 June, 2002  ISSN: 0796-
 08573
Address: FOROYAA, P.O.Box 2306, Serrekunda, The Gambia, West Africa
Telephone: (220) 393177  Fax: (220) 393177
Email address: [log in to unmask]