GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Sep 2000 11:34:13 EDT
I agree with you about the despicable job done by the Observer newspaper in
their reporting of Yaya's abysmal trip to New York. Instead of highlighting
the emptiness of Yaya's speech, the immensely successful demo against the
evil Yaya represents, Yaya's incarceration in his hotel room etc., the
mental midgets at the Observer zoomed on the disgraced duo of Sanneh and Puy
and Yaya's childish comparisons of the Gambian and Senegalese communities in
New York. Like you, I don't even think that the reported meetings took
place. In any case, meeting with kissinger (a has been) or Ms. Rice (Bush
Foreign Policy Adviser) is neither here nor there. This just shows the
ineptitude of Yaya's handlers. They do not understand where power lies in
the U.S. This just goes to confirm that the Observer, together with its
owner, Amadou Samba, are at the beck and call of Yaya. Don't worry about
these reports. The ordinary Gambian knows that this government and its
supporters are only good at peddling lies. No one can erase the fantastic
job the decent Gambians did in the streets of New York last week. They can
spin whatever they want. The truth of the matter is, it was Yaya who was
hiding and not Saul Mbenga or Karamba Touray or Ya Soffie. Did you get a
picture of Yaya addressing a hall full of Gambians? I can guarantee that had
the Gambians in Banjul had the same freedoms people in New York have, they
would come out en masse and imprison the coward in his bunker in Kanilai. If
the police force in Banjul could protect citizens like the police did in New
York last week, Gambians will line the streets of Banjul and register their
disgust towards this brutal regime and the cowards that head it. We will
catch up with the Sannehs and the Puys of this world. Despicable characters
that will follow the Devil to Hell. They are all nonentities that think that
their personal selfish desires can only be guaranteed by Yaya. Yaya should
have given his motivational speech to the likes of Sanneh. Old men that will
follow a moron like Yaya in order to feed their families. Most of us in the
opposition protesting against Yaya enjoy unimaginable (to Yaya) success in
the U.S. Our families back home depend on our remittances. We do not steal
government coffers to make ends meet. Even the so called intellectuals in
Yaya's entourage had to depend on government allowances given to them for
the trip to bring their wives and children here to shop. If educated people
like that cannot make ends meet without engaging in corrupt practices, how
can an illiterate like Yaya survive here or in The Gambia? So the infantile
rhetoric the Observer was propagating, was addressed to the wrong audience.
Yaya should counsel himself and his cohorts to try and work towards earning
a decent living. Come here and be a taxi-driver rather than follow a moron
like Yaya from place to place spreading lies. Rather than emptying
government coffers or coming up with bogus trips in order to earn
allowances, they should cut their coats according to their sizes and live
within their means. If their salaries back home cannot support a flamboyant
lifestyle, they should do like their other compatriots and get an education
in order to attract a high paying job abroad. Once again, thanks for a
superb job in mobilizing the Gambians to register their disgust towards
Yaya. Decent Gambians know where the truth lies. The Observer or other media
outlets cannot change history.
KB