GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
samateh saikou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 15:51:54 +0100
Half Die residents appeal to gov’t
By Malick Mboob
Oct 16, 2004, 08:42

Email this article
Printer friendly page

Fatou Bah, the APRC deputy women mobiliser of Banjul, has appealed to the
government through the First Lady, Zineb Yahya Jammeh to relocate the
residents of Half Die to a new site within the city.

This request came following the conclusion of a feasibility study and master
plan for the Port of Banjul. Part of the Half Die residential area was
earmarked for Port expansion and development, in order to overcome the
congestion presently experienced in the Port as a result of increased cargo.

Madame Bah who was speaking at the Banjul meeting during the First Lady’s
countrywide tour urged the government to overrule the decision of the GPA to
relocate Half Die residents “to an unknown place.”

However, the Banjul deputy women mobiliser suggested that if the Port should
go ahead with its expansion and development programme, they would prefer to
be relocated to the site opposite Gambia Senior Secondary School.
“It is Banjul that we know and we inherited our compounds from our
forefathers. So we appeal to the government to consider us.”

In response, Fatoumata Jahumpa-Ceesay, nominated member of the National
Assembly, told Half Die residents that development has to take place. She
said the Port’s decision is geared towards the prosperity and socio-economic
development of The Gambia.
However, she said through the First Lady the suggestions of the Half Die
residents will be taken care of by government.

Reiterating Mrs Jahumpa-Ceesay’s comments, Susan Waffa-Ogoo, the secretary
of state for Fisheries, Natural Resources and the Environment, said the
expansion and development project to be undertaken by the Ports will
generate income for the country, adding that it will make Banjul Port a
trade gateway project in the sub region.
She reassured the residents that the First Lady will convey the message to
the President.

The areas considered for the Port Extension project include Liberation
Street, Buckle Street, Zebra Street, Hagan Street and Brown Street.

© Copyright 2003 by Observer Company

http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger