GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 12:50:25 -0000
Hamjatta,

We came back from a 16 days tour only to discover that you are yet to
address your contention that the indemnity provision in the Constitution has
negated the Coroner's Act. Instead I have detected further attempts to befog
the issues in my absence. I will take my broom tomorrow to sweep all the
dust you have managed to pour on the fundamental points at issue. This time
I will choke all the vital pores of your mistaken notions. This is a
promise. I have a symposium to attend as the AFRICA 21ST CENTURY FORUM
commemorates the contribution of Cabral, Lumumba and Edward Francis Small;
otherwise, I would have started the cleaning up process today.

Ah! your polling is also very interesting. I see now that you have become
the chairman of the a secret independent electoral  commission in London.
Can you submit the names of your list of voters and how you conducted your
poll in the name of transparency?

It is also interesting that you alleged that Lamin Juwara accused me to
having secret meetings with APRC. Can you supply me with the source of your
information in your next reply? Please, don't evade this question if you
want me to continue to believe that your only interest is to get to the
facts of the fundamental points at issue.

I will have ample time to deal with Saul's contentions after the issues
surrounding the Koro Ceesay and the 1997 constitution are made clear. I am
sure all those who value principles will have very little confidence in the
words of a person who did not hesitate to show that he supported the coup,
the banning of the PPP and had to abandon his position when the people he
recommended to take over leadership of the country could not have the
opportunity.

Once I finish with the fundamental points at issue, I will be turning the
cards for the two of you to get into the witness box. Your writings have
provided me with sufficient information to show your inconsistency in
matters of principle, your lack of understanding of elementary mechanisms of
State administration, your inability to properly conceptualise what is meant
by democratic space, and so on and so forth.

As I said earlier, historical account of the coup would have made everything
clear. You preferred to block that option by narrowing down the debate to
the issue of Koro Ceesay and the 1997 Constitution. Interestingly enough,
when you deal with the issue you do not hesitate to speak about everything
and anything to the point of drawing very erroneous conclusions without
establishing the foundation on which those conclusions are drawn. I will be
very concrete in my next posting to show the absurd nature of the
impressions you are trying to give.

Having been completely trapped, you are now trying to wiggle out of the trap
by dwelling on generalities instead of addressing concrete issues.

This is precisely the reason why you have not been able to say anything
about the indemnity provision vis-a-vis the Coroner's Act for the past 16
days, but did not hesitate to engage in a tongue lashing exercise against
people you classify as 'cronies'.  I hope those people will leave me to
handle the matter and save themselves from being branded. However, they also
have their rights to their opinions which I respect.

Greetings.

Halifa Sallah.