GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hamad S. Sallah" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 May 2001 00:48:43 -0000
LERS ,

The level at which some members of the Gambia L are treating some of our
compatriots who seems to profess a divergent view on our varied political
tapestry is to say the least, very disgusting and intolerant.

I cannot imagine in my mind's eye, how come some participants in our search
for proper and appropriate solutions to our political ills as nation, have
come to appoint themselves as the custodians of fine political thoughts.

The unsubstantiated/fabricated statements and vindicative manners with which
our brother Saul and etal have mop- handled our brother Harona is one
example that comes to mind.

I am  a living witness to the fine and almost enviable journalistic
characteristics that Harona has demonstrated during his stint with the GRTS
and any claim by anyone that he is something otherwise is very, very untrue
and unpatriotic.

As we move forward in our struggle to shape a better nation, we must be
prepared to suppress our emotional sentiments and also not to mixed personal
sentiments with national politics. National politics is not a personality
matter, it is more than that. It embraces everything within the
geo-political classification of a given political territory and cannot
therefore be personalised or sentimentalised. To attack Harona for his
political neutrality is to me, prejudicial in that political neutrality is
one positive step that could ultimately lead to belonging to an organised
political entity/party. It cannot be dismissed as lack of concern for the
nation's health and well-being. His expressed announcement of neutrality has
for all intents and purposes severed him from any claim in any circles that
he is politically affiliated with either the APRC, PDOIS, NRP and UDP and
for that matter cannot therefore be associated with belonging to any party
because of his previous work with the GRTS.

Harona has every right to sit on the fence and to sit there comfortably for
that matter. If anyone on the L want to be respected and recognised for
their contribution he/she must desist from engaging in the type of
aggressive- sentimental lack of substance attacks and or baseless dismissals
of the political entitlements of fellow members.

Assalamu Alaikum !

Sallah