GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deyda Hydara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jan 2002 18:59:55 +0000
>From: Deyda Hydara <[log in to unmask]>
>To: Malick and Saihou
>Subject: Re: Is Senghor a trus son of Africa?
Malick, Saihou, I read your latest postings on the issue at hand. You will
understand that despite my earlier decision to let sleeping dogs lie I have
to clear the air. WE need to systematise our deliberations on the issue to
give them a coherent approach. What is the equation at hand?
Your indictment of Senghor! According to you Senghor is not a true son of
Africa as per your judgement based on three main issues:
a) Senghor was an honorary European by all accounts
b) Senghor worked against the independence of Senegal and other African
countries
a) Senghor subverted efforts aimed at realising Africa Unity. I believe
these are your central themes you have articulated to crucify him.
On this first issue, I first explained that Senghor asserted himself as an
intellectual of identical caliber to his white classmates. He secured a
Ph.D. that none of his classmates secured including former French President
Pompidou. In addition his conceptualise Negritude or Blackness which is far
from being a political doctrine as advanced by Saihou but a rallying call
for black people to be proud of what they are.
In fact, Wade made a revelation last Saturday at Senghor funeral service
when he stated: "In 1935, a young Senegalese returned home with a Ph.D. in
his luggage. A press conference was thus organised at the Dakar Chamber of
Commerce where the attendance was overwhelmingly white. And to the amazement
of that white colonial audience Senghor developed his concept of Negritude
when they expected him praise assimilation." End of quote. Where then lies
the honorary European theory?
This is how Wade described Negritude: " an affirmation of black personality,
of authenticity and the duty of Africans to carry the message to the meeting
point of giving and taking (Le rendez vous du donner et du recevoir". End of
quote. Where then lies the honorary European theory?
Now, Saihou said Senghor opposed independence. This is baffling! What power
Senghor had to work against independence?
DeGaulle himself said in Brazaville(he came to Banjul as Dakar would not
join him on his way to that meeting and he stayed at uncle Charlie
Carrayol's house on Hagan Street in Banjul) in 1943 that the colonies which
were helping France to liberate herself from Germany would be given
autonomy.
Of course De Gaulle was speaking without taking into consideration the
colonial inclination of the traditional political parties whose alternate
governments ran the colonies with all the ramifications such as interest,
profits and influence in that era.
What is important here was the digestion of that speech by intellectuals of
these former colonies that began forming political parties for such a
prospect.
Senghor could not have stopped that historical movement towards independence
as he was nobody's fool to go against it.
As well documented then West Africans secured an elective place at the Grand
Conseil de l'Afrique Occidentale Francaise(High Council of French West
Africa ) which Sekou Toure once presided over under the Loi Cadre as
promised by De Gaulle. . The Conseil sat at present Senegalese National
Assembly where Senghor was laid in state. But we shall come back to that.
These representatives had different political leanings i.e. Toure and Boigny
were Marxists and Senghor was anti-Communist. Later Boigny left the French
communist party. So they went towards independence with divergences, each
group promoting its ideology. In fact that is what led to the cleavages when
it came to balkanization. They shared the same assembly for years but
decided to it alone when it came to independence as these contradictions
were later exported into their African politics.
However it was only Sekou Toure who remained a Marxist as Niger's Djibo
Bakary was assassinated.
Senghor worked tirelessly to preserve the members of the High Council to
secure independence at the same with the support of Ahoumadegbe, Maurice
Yameogo and Modibo Keita.
Now on to your third issue. You say Senghor worked against African unity. I
have to quote once again Wade when he addressed the gathering paying tribute
to Senghor last Saturday. "Senghor worked tirelessly for African Unity
through his fight against balkanization with his attempt to form a Mali
Federation with former Presidents, Yameogo, Ahoumadgebe,  Keita. But Senghor
did not stop at that as he also worked with Nkrumah and Tubman in an attempt
to lay the foundation of a united Africa but their efforts were frustrated
by the enemies of African Unity." End of quote.
Wade also hammered that Senghor 's commitment to a united Africa was not
just a slogan as  "Senegal's constitution was the only one in Africa with a
Section inviting Senegalese to work tirelessly for African Unity."
How can such a man be accused of working against African unity?
Since your main contention seems to revolve around this last issue, let me
again give you the following view.
Malick asserted that when Europeans realised that they needed to cooperate,
they called the Berlin conference, enter into treaty and ensured they no
longer fight each other. "It was this type of spirit that Africa wanted at
Independence, a spirit of cooperation to defeat a common enemy. This was
never simple because there were willing marionettes like Seng who was
prepared to act as the French emissary to abort the African scheme of unity"
also asserted Malick. First of all, before the Berlin treaty Europeans
fought each other for centuries. Remember the 100 years non stop war between
the British and French.
You said this was the type of spirit that Africa wanted at Independence. Was
Africa really ready then? That's the zillion dollar question!   At
independence Africa had no proper states, no practical economic and human
resources, almost no competent and professional cadres to man the new
responsibilities that were to be theirs. What about transports? No proper
road networks (one or two bitumised roads, no air transport or railway
services. To talk to a brother in a neighbouring country one had to go
through London or Paris. To travel from one part of the continent to
another, one had to go through Europe. Not to talk about linguistic,
administrative and judicial differences. No universities in most of these
countries.  This reminds me of what the late John Colley Faye(may his soul
rest in peace) when I interviewed him in 1981 on the SeneGambia
confederation. "Hamumah Naka La Nyari Hojogoneh di Botanteh"(with due
respect to those concerned). And that was 26 years after independence!
In other words, each former colony had the mammoth task of carving a nation
and it was unfair to expect them to reach out to similar poorer countries to
form a block against their former colonial master as they were, and in fact,
are not still ready for that as we see everyday. The paradox in this entire
debate is that mighty Nigeria and South Africa (understandably because of
Apartheid) are conveniently left out of the pros and cons of the issue.
But back to Senegambia to exemplify the differences. Gambian civil servants
who worked out the modalities of the Confederal Treaty would tell you how
they found it difficult (again after 26 years) to cope with the linguistic,
administrative and legal systems. But let us not desperate the mega plan
hatched by Wade and Mbeki could be the prelude of a long and winding but
succesful road in the end.
Landing Savane and Batchilly recalled during these days over TV and radios
that Senghor many times jailed them but they hailed in contribution as a
great African. In my student days in Dakar Senghor also jailed me after the
May 68 students' demonstrations.
I was jailed with most of Senegal's today's political leaders for 20 days at
the Thies military camp.
I was then like a friend, an economist (who belongs to a leading opposition
party) who visited me yesterday to talk about our debate: I thought Senghor
was a reactionary. Today like him who studied in the US I have a different
view.
Saihou, I withdraw the statement that Senegalese troops fought alongside
Nino and Ansumana; I am reliably informed that, that was not the case a
claimed in 1981 by one colonel Potin of the Senegalese army.
On Franz Fanon, Senghor used to quote Fanon as well as my childhood buddy,
our own  Prof. Sulayman Nyang in most of his Independence anniversary
speeches. I was always proud to hear "Selon le professeur gambien
Souleyemane Niang…".

Happy New Year to all of you 'Glers'