GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 19:53:53 -0700
Mother's Day greetings

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 09 May 2004 03:00:31 -0700
From: karen sloane <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: women's call to peace, circa 1870

Hello beloved friends and fellow humanitarians.......  I found the following
"mother's day proclamation", written by a woman in 1870, to be particularly
poignent and moving.  I thought it was worth sharing, so I'm passing it
along.....  It came to me via the Dennis Kucinich mail list, so many of you
may already have received it....

In the interest of peace and love,

Karen

~~~~~~~

We, the women of the Kucinich Campaign, on behalf of the children
of the world ask you to join us in remembering the meaning of Mother's
Day as we read the Mother's Day Proclamation, penned in Boston by
Julia Ward Howe in 1870:

Arise, then, women of this day!
Arise all women who have hearts,
Whether your baptism be that of water or of tears
Say firmly:
"We will not have great questions decided by irrelevant agencies,
Our husbands shall not come to us reeking of carnage,
For caresses and applause.
Our sons shall not be taken from us to unlearn
All that we have been able to teach them of charity, mercy
and patience.
We women of one country
Will be too tender of those of another country
To allow our sons to be trained to injure theirs.
From the bosom of the devastated earth a voice goes up with
Our own. It says, "Disarm, Disarm!"
The sword of murder is not the balance of justice!
Blood does not wipe out dishonor
Nor violence indicate possession.
As men have often forsaken the plow and the anvil at the
summons of war.
Let women now leave all that may be left of home
For a great and earnest day of counsel.
Let them meet first, as women, to bewail and commemorate the
dead.
Let them then solemnly take counsel with each other as to
the means
Whereby the great human family can live in peace,
Each bearing after his own time the sacred impress, not of
Caesar,
But of God.
In the name of womanhood and humanity, I earnestly ask
That a general congress of women without limit of
nationality
May be appointed and held at some place deemed most
convenient
And at the earliest period consistent with its objects
To promote the alliance of the different nationalities,
The amicable settlement of international questions.
The great and general interests of peace.

it's FREE! http://messenger.msn.com/go/onm00200471ave/direct/01/