GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 13:54:18 -0000
Ya Soffie,

Thanks for jump-starting my day! I just saw Ousman's piece on being a "proud
fence-sitter" and I can't beleive my eyes. There is simply no such thing as
"fence-sitting" when dealing with tyrants like Yaya Jammeh: One is either
AGAINST them, or FOR them (depending on the impact such tyranny has on one
or his kin!) As ironic as this may sound, the honest ones FOR the system are
the Tombongs, and Kebba Jobe Daddy Nyings. With them you know exactly what
you're getting, and I respect their frankness about their loyalties.
"Fence-sitters" however, are another issue. To me, it simply shows someone
who supports Yaya Jammeh, but is uncomfortable to admit it publicly! So,
he/she goes around claiming to be a "fence-sitter" -neutral. In the face of
over-whelming evidence about this govt's tyranny, how can anyone in good
conscience feel ambivalent -much less, neutral about where they stand? To
say one is uncomfortable with ALL the Parties opposing Yaya Jammeh is
understandable. But to pretend to be "fence-sitting" is very disingenuous.
There simply is no such thing...

Saul.

This is the question, Mr. Drammeh.  What's your answer?

I will go a little further with the Prince's soliloquy, relating it to what
we've been witnessing in the Gambia.

Whether it is nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of
outrageous fortune - Yaya and his hangers- on have visited mayhem and murder
on Gambia and Gambians, abrogating people's rights,  the nightmare that
we've never known.  These are the consequences of complacency and
fence-sitting.  Do we sit on the fence or challenge and resist?