GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Musa Amadu Pembo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 15:17:59 +0000
Dear Brothers & Sisters-In-Islam,
Al-salaamu alaykum wa rahmat-Allaahi wa barakaatuhu (Peace be upon you,
and the mercy of Allaah and His blessings).
Today is Thursday 21St February,2002,Or Dhul Hijjah 09,1422,It is also the
DAY OF ARAFAT,there are over two million plus Pilgrims gather on the plane
of Arafat in Makkah,a place where social standing has no meaning,where
racism has no place,egoism is completely annihilated,all these people are
gathered to obey the commands of Allah Subhanahu Wa Ta'ala and to ask for
the forgiveness of their sins.This gathering should give us a feel of what
the Day of Judgement would look like,thereby instilling the fear of Allah
and of hell fire in us.Now us see what Allah subhanahu Wa Ta'ala has to say
about this gathering in His Book,the Holy Quran,See Surah 2 Ayat 125-130.
002.125
YUSUFALI: Remember We made the House a place of assembly for men and a place
of safety; and take ye the station of Abraham as a place of prayer; and We
covenanted with Abraham and Isma'il, that they should sanctify My House for
those who compass it round, or use it as a retreat, or bow, or prostrate
themselves (therein in prayer).
PICKTHAL: And when We made the House (at Makka) a resort for mankind and
sanctuary, (saying): Take as your place of worship the place where Abraham
stood (to pray). And We imposed a duty upon Abraham and Ishmael, (saying):
Purify My house for those who go around and those who meditate therein and
those who bow down and prostrate themselves (in worship).
SHAKIR: And when We made the House a pilgrimage for men and a (place of)
security, and: Appoint for yourselves a place of prayer on the
standing-place of Ibrahim. And We enjoined Ibrahim and Ismail saying: Purify
My House for those who visit (it) and those who abide (in it) for devotion
and those who bow down (and) those who prostrate themselves.

002.126
YUSUFALI: And remember Abraham said: "My Lord, make this a City of Peace,
and feed its people with fruits,-such of them as believe in Allah and the
Last Day." He said: "(Yea), and such as reject Faith,-for a while will I
grant them their pleasure, but will soon drive them to the torment of Fire,-
an evil destination (indeed)!"
PICKTHAL: And when Abraham prayed: My Lord! Make this a region of security
and bestow upon its people fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the
Last Day, He answered: As for him who disbelieveth, I shall leave him in
contentment for a while, then I shall compel him to the doom of Fire - a
hapless journey's end!
SHAKIR: And when Ibrahim said: My Lord, make it a secure town and provide
its people with fruits, such of them as believe in Allah and the last day.
He said: And whoever disbelieves, I will grant him enjoyment for a short
while, then I will drive him to the chastisement of the fire; and it is an
evil destination.

002.127
YUSUFALI: And remember Abraham and Isma'il raised the foundations of the
House (With this prayer): "Our Lord! Accept (this service) from us: For Thou
art the All-Hearing, the All-knowing.
PICKTHAL: And when Abraham and Ishmael were raising the foundations of the
House, (Abraham prayed): Our Lord! Accept from us (this duty). Lo! Thou,
only Thou, art the Hearer, the Knower.
SHAKIR: And when Ibrahim and Ismail raised the foundations of the House: Our
Lord! accept from us; surely Thou art the Hearing, the Knowing:

002.128
YUSUFALI: "Our Lord! make of us Muslims, bowing to Thy (Will), and of our
progeny a people Muslim, bowing to Thy (will); and show us our place for the
celebration of (due) rites; and turn unto us (in Mercy); for Thou art the
Oft-Returning, Most Merciful.
PICKTHAL: Our Lord! And make us submissive unto Thee and of our seed a
nation submissive unto Thee, and show us our ways of worship, and relent
toward us. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art the Relenting, the Merciful.
SHAKIR: Our Lord! and make us both submissive to Thee and (raise) from our
offspring a nation submitting to Thee, and show us our ways of devotion and
turn to us (mercifully), surely Thou art the Oft-returning (to mercy), the
Merciful.

002.129
YUSUFALI: "Our Lord! send amongst them a Messenger of their own, who shall
rehearse Thy Signs to them and instruct them in scripture and wisdom, and
sanctify them: For Thou art the Exalted in Might, the Wise."
PICKTHAL: Our Lord! And raise up in their midst a messenger from among them
who shall recite unto them Thy revelations, and shall instruct them in the
Scripture and in wisdom and shall make them grow. Lo! Thou, only Thou, art
the Mighty, Wise.
SHAKIR: Our Lord! and raise up in them a Messenger from among them who shall
recite to them Thy communications and teach them the Book and the wisdom,
and purify them; surely Thou art the Mighty, the Wise.

002.130
YUSUFALI: And who turns away from the religion of Abraham but such as debase
their souls with folly? Him We chose and rendered pure in this world: And he
will be in the Hereafter in the ranks of the Righteous.
PICKTHAL: And who forsaketh the religion of Abraham save him who befooleth
himself? Verily We chose him in the world, and lo! in the Hereafter he is
among the righteous.
SHAKIR: And who forsakes the religion of Ibrahim but he who makes himself a
fool, and most certainly We chose him in this world, and in the hereafter he
is most surely among the righteous.

Three different translations of the above verses.

Question:
If Eid al-Fitr coincides with Friday,is it permissible for me to pray the
Eid prayer and not to pray Jumu’ah or vice versa?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

If the day of Eid coincides with Friday, then whoever prays Eid with the
imaam does not have to attend Jumu’ah (it is not obligatory on him); in his
case it becomes Sunnah. If he does not pray Jumu’ah, he has to pray Zuhr.
This is in the case of people other than the imaam. As for the imaam, he has
to be present for Jumu’ah and lead those Muslims who attend the prayer. The
Jumu’ah prayer should not be forsaken completely on this day.

With the very best of good wishes,
Musa Amadu Pembo
Glasgow,
Scotland
UK.
Da’wah is to convey the message with wisdom and with good words. We should
give the noble and positive message of Islam. We should try to emphasize
more commonalities and explain the difference without getting into
theological arguments and without claiming the superiority of one position
over the other. There is a great interest among the people to know about
Islam and we should do our best to give the right message.
May Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,guide us all to His Sirat Al-Mustaqim (Righteous
Path).May He protect us from the evils of this life and the hereafter.May
Allah,Subhana Wa Ta'Ala,grant us entrance to paradise .
We ask Allaah the Most High, the All-Powerful, to teach us that which will
benefit us, and to benefit us by that which we learn. May Allaah Subhanahu
Wa Ta'ala grant blessings and peace to our Prophet Muhammad and his family
and
companions..Amen.