GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 14:56:25 -0400
Yusupha, first of all, I did not put you in the same category as Joke. I did
not force you to take the positions you are taking. It was your choice.
Check the archives for yourself and see whether I am lying that Joke made
the same arguments you are now making more than one month after the
elections. But like you said, Joke is not the issue. Let us look at your
points.

Revisit your point number one in your earlier post. Was this not your
statement: "1. The number of absentees was roughly equal to the amount
during the parliamentary elections in 1996. That time around, almost 800
voters were absent. The opposition won then. Was there voter buyout then
too? Or does this strengthen the 'voter apathy' theory which others have
postulated as a reason for low voter turnout?"

Show me where you talked about 1997 bye-election figures? Was this a typo on
your part? Tell me who is 'acting' about what he is reading and writing?

Again, I reiterate my view about analyzing these numbers. It is quite
legitimate to assume that there was voter-apathy in both 1996/97 and 2001.
But for crying out loud, show us the EVIDENCE. The figures by themselves do
not tell the whole story. Tell us WHY people did not feel like going out to
vote. Don't speculate. Give us FACTS gathered by politicians and political
pundits.

Granted that there has never been 95% turn-out in Gambian elections. It is
also a fact that the issues that faced Gambians in Kiang of 2001 have never
faced them before. You have to look into what energizes people to go out and
vote. That is where the Opposition is at. The mere fact that there was low
voter turn-out in the past does not prove that that will happen in future.

I am glad you admitted that tribalism was a factor. Initially, you argued
that it was not a valid reason for the 'defeat'.

On the July 22 Movement, I hope you are not telling me that the threat they
pose is not real. 'People do not fear them. The thugs can easily be ran out
of town'. I remind you about what happened in Baddibu. If Gambians are lucky
enough to escape from this thuggery with their lives, they are then faced
with a corrupt judiciary that ensures APRC thuggery prevails. The Basse
Ambush and the murder charges pending against Darboe and other UDP leaders
is also another case in point. People on the ground that experience this
lawlessness take it seriously. If you want, you can just brush it aside. We
know better.

I don't know what arguments you are saying are based on 'unsubstantiated
facts'. If it is the vote-buying, then I don't know what to say to you. If
APRC stalwarts like Joke can detect the hanky-panky and admit it, I cannot
see why you are having difficulties detecting it.

Who says the Opposition does not have a strategy to combat low turn-out due
to voter-apathy? You can make the suggestion to the Opposition without
saying that no one else is thinking about it. I am not a member of these
parties, but I give people benefit of the doubt in certain instances. We are
going to embark on a voter-registration drive in Gambia. Do you think the
Opposition back home is not cognizant of that fact and will try to register
as many voters as possible? Numerous people on G_L spoke to this topic. But
they did not start by belittling our leaders for not thinking about the
obvious and getting the whole picture wrong.

You are right that the Opposition should come up with strategies to win the
October elections. Kick start the program by bringing up suggestions in a
respectful manner. Otherwise, people will challenge you.
KB