GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Chris Sukuna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 May 2004 12:32:40 -0400
Good Morning and Happy Mother's Day to all,

I have a couple of updates to give in regard to Armitage High School.
First and foremost, I hope you will all join me in expressing deep
gratitude to yet another individual who has come forward to financially
support the effort to help this educational institution carry on it's
important work.  Abdoulie m.s. Danso has sent me a money order for $50.00
to help the school continue it's crucial role of educating the youth.
Abdoulie was not only a student of this school but, he also worked as the
Accountant/Bursar from Sept. 2000 to Aug. 2001, so he has a very special
connection with Armitage, as many of the graduates do.

Thank you Abdoulie for coming forward to lend your support.

I also received the receipt for the generator from Karamba and I know the
Post will accept the attachment but, I will need assistance from someone
on the L to forward it for all to see.  So, if someone could kindly assist
me with that I would greatly appreciate it.  If that is not possible, then
if anyone on the L would like to see the receipt, please let me know and I
will mail you a copy of it.

I had the pleasure of speaking to Mr. Haffner on the telephone a few days
back and although I know the school is in great need of so many things,
Mr. Haffner seems so upbeat and positive.  He informed me that on May 15,
the school would be having a graduation ceremoney of sorts and that it was
his intention to mention our collective efforts in front of the entire
student body, as well as, parents/relatives.  I have also been informed
that a group called the Armitage Ex-pupils' Association will be attending
the ceremony and presenting their annual gift to the school.  What I love
about their organization is that graduates go back as student teachers to
help with the issue of supplying the school with educators.  I am hoping
to hear back from this individual, after the event, to get his impression
of what he experienced there.

I am going to forward a piece that apparently was in the Observer that
demonstrates, from a student's perspective, the conditions that those who
are there on a daily basis are experiencing...

ARMITAGE URGENTLY NEEDS HELP
Armitage senior secondary school is a learning institution of excellence
is once again experiencing serious neglect. Armitage which has seen
several hunger rampages in recent years in is again facing serious food
shortages and moral decadence. This is presently evident in the student's
daily rati and moral unconvitionalism as students complain bitterly of
hunger and no longer care to comly with the school's traditions.

The school's 500 students recieve less than 300 loaves of bread for
breakfast  an amount which is always shared with the staff.Daily school's
bbaker engage in brawls with senior staff due to his refusal to share his
portion of bread which according to him is for his family. Students diets
have been very insuficient for linch and dinnner.

An Armitage ex-student will be deeply flabergasted and sorry at the
school's loss of its precious  and adorable tradition. Another distresing
feature of the situation is the loss of the omce evergreenflora, a future
which stuns visitors with beauty with its beauty. This vegetation cover
has almost disappeared because of nonchallance to environment.

The school is now a nightmare for acquinted visitors immediately feelthat
neglect as they distressfully watch students during school hours in
slippers , withou proper dresing.Uterring vagant Enlishduring school hours
and so on.

Adramatic vissisitude of students hostels is another disappointment as the
students during school hours listen to tape recorders and radio appliances
in their rooms while female students openly visit town.

It is collective responsibilty of all and sundry to intervene and salvage
Armitage. Let us lend a hand to restore sanity and sanctity in the once
great school."
Folks, there is so much work to be done and any amount will help this
school.  I am deeply concerned about the food shortage and I hope many of
you will take a moment to step up and pledge even a couple of dollars, if
you can.  To those that have pledged, just a friendly reminder to send in
your contributions when time permits you to do so. If you just want to
send in parts of the pledge, no problem.  I just want to keep the momentum
going and the participation to include as many individuals as possible.

Everyone, thank you for your time.

Christine Sukuna
1333 Wedgewood Avenue
Eau Claire, WI 54703 USA

CURRENT LIST ***KT=money sent to Karamba on 03/30/04

Karamba Touray  $100.00 pledge ($100.00 received 03/18/04)-KT
Chris Sukuna    $400.00 pledge ($400.00 received 03/08/04)-KT
Soffie Ceesay   $50.00 pledge  ($50.00 received 03/13/04)-KT
Banka Manneh    pledged-$50.00 ($50.00 received 03/26/04)-KT
Dr. Saine       $100.00 pledge
Cynthia Daniels $50.00 pledge ($50.00 received 3/5/04)-KT
Karamo          $100.00 pledge ($125.00 received 03/26/04)-KT
Habib Ghanim    $50.00 pledge (50.00 received 04/01/04)-KT
Kebba Foon      pledged-$25.00 ($25.00 received 04/01/04)-KT
Yankubu Darboe  $100.00 pledge
Abibou Jallow   $100.00 pdg ($100.00 recv'd 03/15/04)*see gifts-KT
Binneh Minteh   pledged
Kabba Jimbara   pledged-$30.00 ($30.00 received 03/19/04)-KT
Ismaila Hydara  pledged (See below in gifts section -delivered to AHS)
Ousman Bojang   pledged
Nicole Garrett  $100.00 pledge ($100.00 received 03/13/04)-KT
Maila Touray    $50.00 pledge  ($50.00 received 03/29/04)-KT
Baba G. Jallow  $100.00 pledge ($100.00 received 03/22/04)-KT
George Sarr     $19.99 pledge
Essa B. Sey     pledged (details in the works)
Yaya Jallow     $50.00 pledge  ($50.00 received 03/29/04)-KT
F.Samateh Family$50.00 pledge  ($50.00 received 03/30/04)-KT
Ousman Gajigo   $50.00 pledge  ($50.00 received 04/15/04)-KT
Latjor Ndow     $100.00 pledge
Abdoulie Danso  $50.00 pledge   ($50.00 received 05/08/04)

The Darbo kids...various equipment and supplies
Haruna Darbo....600 mattresses and 100 bags of rice
Morro Ceesay....renewable energy technology (details in the works)
Abibou Jallow...web site support
Ismaila Hydara..various sports equipment, trophy and funds
Seedy S. Khan   a computer and two printers