GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Seedy S. Khan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:32:40 -0500
Now that the National Assembly Member for Jarra West, Baba Jobe has been
incarcerated, what's next? Well, I thought my good friend, Karamba, will be
on the Gambia-Post Radio today so that I can solicit his political insights
into this unfortunate political development, but to no avail. Or, should I
call Hon. Halifa Sallah? I don't know. I just don't have time to listen to
series of quotations from Gambian Books of Law. Laugh! I admire these two
folks for their courage and determination.

Though, one thing I know for sure is that Baba Jobe will be expelled from
the APRC. Then the IEC will declare Jarra West Constituency for a
bi-election within sixty to ninety days. Parties will start scrambling for
nominations of candidates. So, after all these, will a united opposition
coalition pick up Jarra West? This is the multi-million dollar question
before the Alternative.

Before answering the above question, it will be prudent to take a brief look
at the political history of this geographical area during the first and
second republics from a parliamentary perspective.

First and foremost, Jarra West was first represented in the House of
Parliament (now, National Assembly), by Yaya Ceesay of the People's
Progressive Party(PPP) for almost the entire period of the First Republic.
His main challenger was Kemeseng Jammeh of National Convention Party(NCP).
Kemeseng barely came any close to unseating Yaya, who had tremendous support
within Jarra. Yaya Ceesay was best remembered for his efforts in bringing
electricity, especially street lights, to most of Jarra. I mean a regular
electricity service.

Then came July 22,1994. The PPP government was overthrown. All political
parties(except PDOIS) of the First Republic were disbanded by the junta. The
United Democratic Party(UDP) was formed prior to the 1996 Elections. Here
comes Kemeseng again for Jarra West. But this time as a UDP flag bearer
since his former Party was disbanded. Baba Jobe, a Libyan-trained
revolutionalist contested the constituency for the APRC. It may be worth
noting here that Baba Jobe was earlier tried for treason by the PPP
government a few years prior to the coup. Although the govenment could not
prove his case beyond a reasonable doubt because of lack of enough evidence,
his passport was confisticated. So, because of Baba's revolutionary
ideology, his stance against the former regime, his willingness to practise
what he studied(intimidation and thuggery) and aboveall, his liaison ability
between his former mentor Muamar Ghadaffi and the junta, he became a darling
of the AFPRC/APRC government. However, Kemeseng Jammeh succeeded in securing
the seat for UDP amidst wide spread intimidation and thuggery by Baba Jobe
and the defunt July 22nd Movement.

AFPRC/APRC thuggery machinery continued in Jarra until 2002, when the UDP
decided not to contest the National Assembly Elections. Baba Jobe was left
unopposed. Thus, he automatically became the NAM for Jarra West. Janjangbure
Prisons was a second home to any openly opposition sympathiser.

Considering the above developments, the Alternative can very well capture
the Jarra West seat. So, will this be the testing or starting ground for the
Alternative? It's yet to be certain.

Seedy