GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malamin Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 18:44:38 +0000
Mr. Dampha,

Your proactive stance in this issue is commendable. It is my belief that
if Gabriel Roberts is not challenged, he will keep changing the goal post on
this election. He is not conceding an inch to the opposition and I don't
hear any noise being made. To the opposition the least they can do is unite
on this sole issue because this man will manipulate ALL opposing parties not
just one.

I have a list of suggestions for the opposition on to ways clamp down the
system to prevent Yahya from cheating.

1. Demand that international observers accompany all vehicles carrying
ballot boxes. This election is funded in part by the EU(i could be wrong on
this) or some of our development partners. I remember Kofi Annan on his
visit to Gambia said the UN is willing to provided independent observers if
requested. Take the UN on this offer.

2. Assign dozens of party militants with camcorders to escort IEC transport
vehicles to counting centers. In the event July 22 tugs ambush this
possession, they will be repelled and captured on tape for the whole world
to see.

3. Inspect the tamper mechanism of the ballot boxes before and after tranfer
to the counting places.

It is also my belief that the opposition parties are largely
ignoring/discounting ideas generated On Gambian-L. Is it because we cannot
vote or what. If adequate measures are not taken by the opposition to
prevent Yahya from stealing this election, then Yankuba, Tombong, and Buba
Baldeh have every reason to be confident that Yahya will win by 60% or more.
Why go to court to contest an election when you can prevent the illegal
activities beforehand?

This is my take on this issue, Issue-based comments are solicited.

Inexperienced political observer,

MJohnson