GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Prince Obrien-Coker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 01:45:48 +0100
Gambia-L,

To all of you who read Frantz Fanon's "Black Skin, White Mask" and had problems
understanding the type of Black people he mentions in Chapter 5 ("The Fact Of
Blackness")
and Chapter 6 ("The Negro And Psychopathology") should read Mr. Lamin Ceesay's
piece
for a proper understanding of  Fanon, that "Some Black mothers do have them".
Mr. Lamin
Ceesay, simply put, epitomizes Fanon's statement that "A normal Negro child,
having grown up
within a normal family, will become abnormal on the slightest contact with the
white world".
By "the White World", Fanon simply means "Education". I totally agree with that
statement.
For some of us, we would have been better of,  had we not ever been to school.

Mr. Ceesay's assertion that "Afrocentricism" is an invention of the Civil Rights
Movement of the 60's is an interesting case to inform him what it is to claim
what is yours. At the height of that Movement, during the Olympic Games of 1964
in Mexico City,
three Black men (All Americans)stood on the dais to receive their medals for the
400 meters,
and while the whole world was watching they raised their arms to what is
generally called "The Black Power
Salute". These three brothers were quickly expelled from the Olympics and as
reports had it, one of them
was even sent back to jail for breaking his "Parole". From the 70's ALL
presidents of the United States have
been raising their arms in the manner the three brothers did as a sign of
victory and the people have to
applaud them. I will not be surprise if over 20 years time black children will
be reading that a
President Gerald Ford was the first to make that salute. As we are told today
that Winston Churchill was the
first to make the V-sign (for Victory) in 1945 as if Emperor Haile Salassie was
not doing that in the 30's.
These are just a couple of examples I can offer to explain the necessity of
reminding yourself of what is yours.

About the "sound academic reasoning", I am sure Lamin Ceesay uses that "sound
academic reasoning" to defend his standpoint. But Mr. Ceesay should ask any
white
person in Britain,  who actually made them Christians in the ninth century? No
one will tell him that he was a Blackman, even when we all know that the first
ever Archbishop of Canterbury would have been at the back of the bus at time of
the Civil Rights Movement of the 60's. Mr. Ceesay may be in a "Fine" school in
the
UK but he has never bothered to find out who the first person was to have
started schooling in England in the 11th Century. The first school ever
established in Britain was done by a jet-black NIGGER, whose is name derived
from
Mandinka-Mori and is today used by many white people. Mr. Lamin Ceesay does not
deserve
my assistance to knowledge about himself, so I will leave him to "hit" the
Libraries and find out
for himself about himself.
Like Mr. Lamin Ceesay, I was taught in school that the North Pole was
"discovered" by one Mr. Prairie(?), and through my desire to know more about my
people, I discovered that one Matthew Henson, a Blackman, was about half an hour
on
the Pole before the supposed-finder that history books tell us. Mr. Ceesay's
idea
of "Afrocentricism" being originated it the 60's also tells me that he needs to
read more about himself than what his curricula say. The idea of  that Mr.
Ceesay
Calls "Afrocentricism" was old when John Brown decided to take arms against his
own race.
In fact not a single Black person is documented before the 17th Century, because
all those who
engaged in that "Afrocentricism" were ALL white. Some White people recognized
the
contribution of the Black Race toward World History as far back as the 15th
Century.
People like Marlowe, Bacon, Spencer and Shakespeare all used their pens to
"educate" others
the Black Race is more than what it is taken for. If fact William Shakespeare
was instrumental in
that Movement when he wrote, what I find to be the finest lines ever written of
a Black woman
by any human being, Black or White.
He wrote:

"In the old age black was not counted fair,
Or if it were, it bore not beauty's name;
But now is black beauty's successive heir,
And beauty slandered with a bastard shame:
For since each hand hath put on natures power,
Fairing the foul with art's false borrow'd face,
Bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla, bla,
bla, bla
bla, bla

And he when on like this for about 30 (thirty) verses.

Unless in your "Scholarly logic" some "Afrocentrics" must have told you
that Shakespeare was Black and that Stratford-upon-Avon was an estuary of River
Gambia,
I really cannot enlighten you.
This is not about the socio-economic differences between Black people and White
people. It
is more about Black people knowing themselves. The slogan of the 70's in the
Gambia was
"Ifang Bondi", and if you did not learn from that, then Brother, I am sorry...

About the man with the "Anglo-Saxon name" who forwarded the piece. Well, if you
don't know him,
please ask your father or uncles who he is. His common name is Ola Coker. He is
not what you called
an African-American, he is a true Waa-Banjul. He was a Gambian long before Yaya
Jammeh became one.
He was one of the first members of Gambia's first Anti-establishment
organization, known as "TONYA-MENTA". He did not forward the article to educate
anyone. He assumes that most Black people on this List know themselves and their
history. It was more for the anecdotal nature of these kind of pieces that
people send it to the list. Last Year someone forwarded a similar piece with a
Ghanaian teacher, with your frame of mind,  as the protagonist, I forwarded to a
Ghanaian Org who readily published it in their periodical.

Mr. Ceesay, we the Black people on this List may not have the education you
have, but we are content with the BLACKNESS AND "AFRICANESS" that is in us. I,
and millions of Black people, do relish in anything that bears the name of
Blackness.

Thanks

Prince Coker