GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Ceesay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 01:19:09 -0000
Ebrima Sillah:

Since my team - Arsenal - is yet to have its own TV Channel, I had to watch
the Manchester United TV Channel, and there, I heard about the news of
Arthur Gomez, a Gambian soccer sensation, currently in England, having
trials with Manchester United at Old Trafford. The same piece of news was
also reported on Sky Sports.Com TV and, as a result, I decided to check the
Sky Sports Web Page, and then found the news item below on the page. The
article is reproduced further below, and perhaps you could use part of it
for your radio news bulletin(s). And my warmest regards to Coach Alagie
Sillah and do tell him to keep trying. Kennest Y. Best would say: "you never
try, you never know!" Alagie Sillah, in my book, is a good coach and, if
given the time and resources, he'll do a good job.

Yus: The Amnesty International statement you forwarded to the L (which
mentioned my departure from The Gambia) was issued, I believe, in December
1996, a few weeks after I left The Gambia for the UK. Also, just the other
day, Musa Ceesay lent me a video tape of a documentary on The Gambia, shown
on Swedish TV in 1995. The programme - "My Heart is in The Gambia" - was
presented by Mrs Jainaba Bah-Jallow and myself, Sidia Jatta and Halifa
Sallah were among those interviewed. And guest what? I was watching it at
home with Pa Taal, who had lived in Sweden before moving to England, and he
showed me Momodou Sidibeh of the L in the programme. I also saw Buharry
Gassama in it, but because he was my classmate, I was able to recognise him.

Gambia-L, sorry for boring you to death with my soccer postings. I hope to
resume "My Messages To All Gambians" next Tuesday, by the grace of God.

Regards,
Ebrima

Fergie - Looking for fresh talent

FERGIE TARGETS AFRICAN DUO

By Adam Marshall

Manchester United have been assessing the merits of African duo Sulley
Muntari and Arthur Gomez, after both players had trials at Old Trafford.

Sir Alex Ferguson is already gearing towards United's future role within the
world game where the Premiership champions will use satellite clubs from
around the globe to develop burgeoning talent, and avoid complications with
the work permit regulations in England.

The ultra-successful Scot is aware of the enormous untapped potential in
Africa, Asia and South America and wants to ensure United will compete with
the world's biggest clubs for the most promising talent.

There is the prospect that Muntari and Gomez could head for Belgian side
Royal Antwerp in order to learn their trade and reach the levels where they
could expect to compete for a place in the Red Devils' first team squad.

Muntari does not turn 17 until next week but he has impressed at left back
and left midfield for the Ghanian under-20 side.

The Liberty Professionals starlet impressed during a trial spell in
Manchester last week, after flying to England with his agents.

Gomez, 17, plays for Scorpions in Gambia.. He has the backing of under-20
coach Alhagie Sillah, who responded to the news of the teenager's trial: "He
has the talent, and has shown everybody that he is good and can fit anywhere
in the world.

"That is a big plus for Gambian football because scouts will flock here to
check our players.

"I'm sure Arthur will not find it a problem to make it. The trials will not
be a hurdle. It will be like drinking water for him.

"We have to be careful as there are scouts who come here, say a lot of
things and, when investigations are made, they are not scouts after all but
out for their own ends."

United were attracted to the two players during the African Youth
championships in April, where Muntari was sensational in the semi-final win
over Nigeria, scoring twice, one goal from an acrobatic scissors kick.

Local reports indicate that the Ghanaian starlet could seal a £1 million
move to England within the next week, but there may not be the need for
Ferguson to splash out such a large sum at this stage, instead negotiating a
move involving Antwerp.