GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 16:51:12 +0000
While I wait for additional information, it is good to see Gambians actively
analyze and dissect the inevitable after the fix.  We knew that the
landscape was not leveled; the voter roaster was padded; the Grand NADD
Coalition cracked, and those that had their hopes on NADD gave up.  The laws
of survival kicked in for the masses on the ground.  In NADD they had
confidence, and with the pull out, those that voted for Yaya for fear and
those that abstained for fear, in addition to the roaster padding, vote
buying, and general hopelessness, we found ourselves in the next stage of
our struggle - challenge the results with facts and let events run its
natural course.

There are things that we have under our control and I hope that those that
managed to convince themselves, for the second time, that theirs has a
birthright to lead us, to see the futility in their view.  Gambians, I hope
in the fight ahead we get it right the third time.  Collectively, we must
run to the gutter, not only Yaya, but equally, the greed and short
sightedness of any leader.  Unless we refuse to face reality, the number one
reason why Yaya was able to steal this elections is the disruption of NADD
by the withdrawal of the UDP and the further wooing of NRP and the reliance
that ethnicity was going to be in their favor.  Just like in 2001, those
that sold those goose eggs are silent today because they yet again
contributed immensely to our situation.  Next time when a few ill informed
and self interested persons come to disrupt that which is in the interest of
the collective, I hope the silent majority not only speak up, but chase them
for their lives.  All of us saw them right here and I hope we will not
continue to make the same mistake of aiding and abetting those that are not
interested in the collective, but their selfish gain.

If Yaya thinks he is off the hook, then he is in for a rude awakening.  What
this result has also created is that those in the armed forces that are
convinced the only way this murderer is going to be gotten rid off, is the
barrel of the gun, will gather for the hunt.  Thus, let Yaya be ready to
have sleepless nights for the silent are on the hunt for his head, with this
fix.  You think you can use more terror tactics, then be ready to be hunted,
equally.  If Bill Clinton and George Bush can openly say they looked to
murder Ben Laden and continue the hunt for his head, then Gambians are also
in the right path to murder the person that has been murdering them for the
past twelve years.  Let the naive among us continue to sing about democracy
and circumstance and not realize that it is also democratic to get rid of
your murderer.

Getting rid of a tyrant and murderer is never easy and at this stage, any
means of achieving a regime and system change is justified, especially when
the murderer tells you that he wil stay on for another forty years and at
all cost.

Chi Jaama

Joe

>From: "Bailo Jallow" <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: RE: [>-<] Gambia leader signals firm rule after election win
>Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 17:19:53 +0100
>
>[ This e-mail is posted to Gambia|Post e-Gathering by "Bailo Jallow"  ]
>

>Even a helpless drug addict will not talk the way that this vogabond
>does. Yahya Jammeh is an absolute disgrace to the image of our nation. Not
>only does he held Gambians in serious contempt, he also continue to insult
>our intelligence.
>
>Yahya Jammeh should have been one of the happiest guys in the world had
>he genuinely won the elections but he is still not pleased as apparent from
>his rants and threats; they speaks volumes about his state of mind. He
>knows that the people have genuinely rejected him and that he could only
>hang on to power through fraud. In my view not only did he successfully
>ochestrate electoral fraud in all the stages of the electoral process, he
>had also blatantly stolen the presidency before the very eyes of the entire
>nation and the wider international community. The saddest aspect of it all
>is that the opposition would find it almost impossible to illegetimise his
>presidency before the presence of the Gambian peoples and the international
>community. By virtue of having participated in the election, the unintended
>impression might already have been conveyed by both opposition coalitions
>that their respective complaints about the freeness or fairness of the
>electoral process in the run-up to election day were perceived by neither
>of them to be that significant to alter the will of the Gambian people. As
>Ousman Gajigo et al had recently reminded us; Participation by the
>opposition in the elections represents their endorsement of the credibility
>of the electoral process which consequently also means that Yahya Jammeh
>has by unfair methods acquired the legitimacy that he does not actually
>deserve. Unless either of the opposition camps could come up with
>incontrovertible evidence that the outcome was rigged on the day of the
>polls, then any such claim of fraud as already submitted by the
>UDP/NRP could easily be
>dismissed as the reactions of a bad loser. The onus would be on the
>opposition to prove their case. And don't we already know the verdict of
>the mercenery judges-infested Gambian courts in this respect?
>
>It seems to me tha the opposition would have to get back together and back
>to the drawing board. Please let none try to tell us again that a disunited
>opposition could overcome a power-grabbing and blood-thirsty dictatorship.
>It's a joke! United we stand, divided then the dictatorship prevails.
>
>In all fairness to Yahya Jammeh, he had perfected the art of rigging
>elections in Africa. He had from 51% in the last elction shot up to almost
>70% of the popular votes, this time. He would certainly make a lot more
> [...]