GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 15:18:07 +0000
Yero, allow me to interject and make some observations, the NIA far from
being feared is despised, it an organisation whose activities are conducted
under cover of darkness, hence if anything, they fear the public more than
the public fear them. They are an organisation with enormous
powers vested upon them without any  accountability to any of our democratic
institutions, unlike the CIA, the CIA  are usually called to account to
congress, but with regard to the NIA,it is simply a macinery of oppression,
that is being used to intimidate and oppress the ordinary folks. I hope we
start being honest and critical about such notorious institutions otherwise
we close our eyes to the point of creating a monster we will not be able to
handle. Any form of excesses should be condemned and the fact that the
judiciary was very critical of the shadiness of the NIA, should be an eye
opener, instead of covering and defending the indefensible we should be
ready to create together a Gambia were we will look after each other rather
than torment others to silence them. The NIA by an large is an institution
designed to create a culture of silence, but just as the GESTAPO failed it
will also fail, for there will always be Gambians who would never be
intimidated.