GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sheikh Tejan Nyang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jun 1999 00:43:45 +0100
Hei Lisa and Modou Mbye,
Sorry to hear that you did not hear the interview on the outlook . The gist of
it was mainly to question the stand the government took in announcing the
banning of the concept at the end of the current season knowing fully well that
it  is a popular  concept. My  reply was simply that  tourism in developing
countries is mainly use as a tool of creating employment among other factors
i.e. forex.earning ,balance of payment etc. That  the concept was  started i an
area  that 80 percent that populace  depend  entirely on tourism for their
survival and the livelihood of those are threatened. Moreover, tourism is meant
to promote international understanding  and this type of concept  restrict the
tourist from venturing out of the the hotel .Also bearing in mind that all items
for tourism  consumption are imported ranging from eggs,vergetable, drinks etc.
thus leaving the local  populace with small  business like  bars  to close down
in the absenceof tourist venturing out of  the hotels. I had a lady from one of
the.carabian islands defending the concept  with one or two locals against the
concept . I  reacted by saying that  the social and cultural set-up of that
island and that of  The Gambia  are totally different. We are talking of a
country that has a strong tradition of a extended family life  system where  one
person working has between  7 to10 dependands.IF now all the people and their
dependants  do not have a
means of survival  now because of this concept  what will  happen /? I  also
mentioned about the entrance fee of  D300 charged to all locals entering sunwing
hotel  which i felt was discrimitery. The fee is a payment  for food and drinks
and is paid even if you are only  visiting. This is a brief summery .  tejan