GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 17:57:01 EST
   Very interesting review, Ebrima. This is why I hold the opinion that
knowledge has a very subjective basis. In the search for knowledge, we rely
on principles that has been established, thoeries that has been propounded,
emprical data that has been proven, and scientific facts that are
fundamental, yet our interpretation of reality, historical or academic, is
always different. It is different, precisely, because there are inherent
conflicts nurtured by our motivation, for one reason or another, to
perpetuate certain values, beliefs, ideals and so on and so forth, that are
different from similar perspectives held by others.

   It is not therefore ironic, that the whole struggle within the realm of
knowledge, has these subjective tendencies, that tend to dictate our stand on
fundamental principles of religion, politics, economics, and other issues in
which human beings, unfortunately tend to hold differing views.

  We are living in a very critical period, and people who by virtue of their
academic, intellectual or political prowress, and who can shape public
opinion, or even incite our "class" sentiments, should be very careful of
some of the subjective inclinations in their intellectual discourse.

   We must be very vigilant. There are people who have strived to be very
objective, guided by their passionate desire to bring our human family
together, to address their needs and aspirations, irrespective of where we
belong or what we belief. This is the fundamental duty that is required of
our quest for our humanity. I always enjoy your reviews.

     Rene