GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Modou Njai <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2001 22:44:25 -0400
Bakau NCP supporters react to Dembo 'by-force'

by Gibril MS Jassey

Supporters of the opposition National Convention Party (NCP) have condemned
former NCP member of parliament and now UDP National Assembly member for the
front page story carried by the the Daily Observer captioned "I was
dismissed from NCP". They described the allegation as false and bent on
tarnishing the good image of the NCP.

Speaking to the Daily Observer, Kebba Dampha of Bakau Newtown, said Dembo
was not sacked from the NCP, "he just wanted to spoil the name of Sheriff
Dibba and the NCP". How can Dembo be dismissed from the NCP without giving
him any dismissal letter and "we the Bakau people were not informed."
"Sheriff Dibba is not that type of man, who normally betray people like
that. It's just an allegation made against him. He did not sack Dembo from
the NCP," he explained.

Masanyang Dibba, Bakau Farokono, also expressed a similar opinion. He said
Dembo sacked himself from the NCP. He then called on the people of Bakau to
understand that Sheriff did not expel him. He described Sheriff Dibba as a
man capable of leading The Gambia. Ferry Sanyang, Bakau Newtown said "I do
not accept the story of Dembo's dismissal from the NCP because I did not see
any dismissal letter given to him." Babadinding Kanji, Bakau Newtown said
Dembo just wanted to remain in UDP. "Nobody has sacked him from the NCP," he
charged. He said that if Sheriff was to expel Dembo from NCP, he would have
contacted the Bakau NCP committee.

Kebba Sanyang of Bakau Tabokoto, said since the NCP was formed, Fabakary
Camara was their first MP and when he passed away, they then selected Dembo
Bojang to contest for the NCP in the Bakau constituency which Sheriff Dibba
accepted. He added that, Sheriff could not have sacked Dembo from NCP
"without our knowledge". He alleged that Dembo just wanted to create
misunderstanding between the people of Bakau and Sheriff. "We will not
accepted that," he vowed.