GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:49:06 EDT
From the pages of the Daily Observer.

GOV’T TO ISSUE TRADE LICENSE TO DARBOE, IF ...
Written by Pa Malick  Faye
Thursday, 28 September 2006

Yankuba Touray, the Secretary of State for Agriculture and APRC National
Mobliser, has said the government is willing to issue trade licences to Lawyer
Ousainou Darboe, leader of the opposition UDP to take part in the
2006/07groundnut trade season since he cannot make headway in  politics.
In an exclusive interview with the Daily Observer  yesterday, SoS Touray said
it is up to Darboe to prove his patriotism to  Gambians since he had publicly
disclosed throughout his election campaign that  he has travelled to Geneva
in Switzerland and had enough money to buy all the  groundnut produce in the
country. “We will issue him a trade licence to take  part in the upcoming trade
season if he meets the criteria. We have no objection  to that because all
that we want is to have companies and individuals who will  buy the farmers
produce on time. Government is not a buyer of nuts. It is the  private sector and
we will be more than willing to have Darboe establish a  company to buy nuts.
If he does as he promised, he will prove to everyone that  he is a patriot.”
According to him, there will be a stakeholders conference  on the way forward
for the trade season and Darboe is free to take part. “We  have no objection
to it and it is up to Darboe to prove himself”