GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Omar Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 12:20:19 +0100
Lamin B Jammeh,

You wrote"It is about time Gambians and Africans change their attiude towards  White people because they`re enemies and betrayers". This is your opinion. Mine is that there`re many others with good intentions for The Gambia and Africa at large. Last saturday "African Youth in Norway" celeberated its five year anniversary and those of us who were present would give  credit to some of the white folks gathered there for the success of this organization. And whenever I travel home the white folks who travel with me are`nt "enemies or betrayers". These are people who among other things go out their to give kids a better future-Education. Anytime you ask them they`ll give you an account of The Gambia contrary to that of Birgit & Joel Samuel. I`m reacting to your generalization, because I dont feel it is right to go that far.

Birgit & Samuel`s article is sure sprinkled with some bold assertions, that in a way shows their ignorance of The Gambia and her culture. A couple of weeks ago a Norwegian paper "VG" wrote an article about The Gambia with a similar title "Gambia-no problem", and there`re some remarks here too which some might not like though it does`nt come any closer to Birgit and Samuel`s. The picture that accompanied the article was that of an overweight white lady in bikini at the beach side and sitting by her a skiny Gambian brother. I got the message being portrayed here.

Albeit, Birgit and Samuel`s article contain some truth although exaggerated, and the truth hurts.

Regards,
Omar.