GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 12:48:43 +0200
On 1 Jun 2001, at 4:45, Mr Makaveli wrote:

> Asalamu Alaikum brother Musa,
>   Brother, could you please transliterate this excerpt from the article
> you just forward in layman's term. It went :
>
> " ALLAH(SWT) SAID:
> 'O you who believe!  When the call is proclaimed for the prayer on the day
> of Friday come to the remembrance of Allah and LEAVE OFF BUSINESS
> THAT IS BETTER FOR YOU IF YOU DID BUT KNOW!'  (Jumuah 62:9)" Emphasis mine.
>
> Specifically this part: " LEAVE OFF BUSINESS THAT IS BETTER FOR YOU IF YOU
> DID BUT KNOW!"
>
> I don't mean to be sarcastic but only hope you can enlighten a bewildered
> mind. My hunch is that it could be a misprint unless ... Well, let me hear
> from you first.Thanks in advance.
>
>                                         Have a good Jumuah prayer,
>                                         Brother Makaveli.

Brother Makaveli,
There is a colon missing in the sentence. It should have been "LEAVE OFF
BUSINESS: THAT IS BETTER FOR YOU IF YOU DID BUT KNOW".

The teaching says: "When the time for Jumu'a Prayer comes, close your business
and answer the summons loyally and earnestly, meet earnestly, pray, consult and
learn by social contact: when the meeting is over, scatter and go about your
business.
Source: The Holy Qur'an text, Translation and Commentary by Abdullah Yusuf Ali.

Have a good weekend,
Momodou Camara

http://home3.inet.tele.dk/mcamara/