GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Simon Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:34:39 -0800
Pa Modou,
        I guest the author of this article is out of his mind
when he was writing it.  Where in the World can you
have good reasoning in an oppressed society, being it
religion or political.  I suppose he should first
considered how did the West able to come with the
technologies to make life much easier than the last
century.  It is obvious that every thing has a price
to pay which he can argue that the West had make us
think that their ideology of civilization is the best,
but it is up to us to reason and make our own
judgement of what is being present to us.  It is only
fools like the author of this article who blame the
West of their failure.
        Talking about the West, why can your considered Asia,
example Japan.  Despite their deep culture, they were
able to develop modern technologies since they live in
a free society.  I guest sometime we contradict our
own believe and try to justified our poor performance
on West.  Nigeria will be a good example for Africa.
When the oil in Nigeria was discover, the West had
already left but due to the selfishness and naïve of
many African, the level of corruption raise to the
highest level.  The Nigerian leadership was a way of
enriching oneself and same thing applies to many
African nations including Gambia, Zaire in the days of
Mobuto and the list goes on and on…….  Tell me where
did Yahya Jammeh becomes a millionaire when the rest
of his folks cannot afford two meals a day, same goes
to Jawara in his days, so please let us be real and
confront our problem instead of blaming the West.  It
is very sad when the like of Dr. Nyang act like
elementary students.  I really question their
intellectual capacity, when they talk about certain
issues without any facts to back it, but then again,
it will come to the same conclusion, as many of them
are only here to pursue selfish interest and try to
hide behind religion and the like.   It will be
self-denial, but many are only interested for their
pockets.  Many don’t care about the well being of
others.  If we can consider religions as just a moral
guide to oneself and nothing else, it will create an
environment for a better development.
Peace!
Simon.

--- Jungle Sunrise <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<HR>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>(Culled from the Daily Observer of&nbsp; Thursday
31th January 2001).</P>
<P><STRONG>Globalisation paradox - </STRONG><EM>by
Amat Jawara of Kerr Omar Jawara
Village</EM><STRONG>.</STRONG></P>
<P>There is sense in nonsence. But is there sense in
globalisation? The remotest African villager can in
their own language express the threat of
cosmo-vission, popularly or notoriously known as
globalisation. What is the problem? The way it is
presented to the so-called Third world seems perfect
and redeemable. This radical pluralism of cultures
will one day, if not already, put Africa in an abyss
of colossal socio-economic and political mess. Africa
is in sanctions. Globalisation, according to its
mongers is the only avenue for socio-economic and
political development. In its name the people are
killed, property destroyed, governments toppled and
religion neglected.</P>
<P>The word globalisation, as aregistered member of
the litany of western fabrication, is conceptualised
as a pancea for the wounds of Africa. Therefore
everything made in Africa is dubbed as inferior
because it has to be accepted by the whole world. In
fact, it is a shortcut to say Europe and the US. Like
the globe which is one lump of landmass and water, the
world would be programmed to follow one course of
doing things.</P>
<P>Just like the earth, globalisation rotates on its
axis. The axis is the west. It is from there that
everything which exists in Africa has derived its
inspiration. The values in Africa are suspended, if
not buried. It is a problem because Africans believe
that they have to grasp the amenities of modernity so
they struggle to be part of the :globalised"
humanity.</P>
<P>In reality most of these people became besieged by
"global" pressures and aggression. This in turn raises
uncertainty, destruction and confusion. The villagers
struggle to reach the towns to grasp "the good life"
promised by globalisation or modernisation. The town
people in turn struggle to see the other side of the
moon, in short to harvest the "global" promises. It is
no wonder most people have become too materially
drunk. The flashy cars in the streets and the nude
women send some African men into coma. Thus, the
struggle to bring Africa things that are culturally
menacing. These global phenomena, just like aids,
intrude the imune system and destroy it. Africa has
thrown away its good system and could not positivel
reach the "perfect system" they are promised. This is
the identity crisis Africans are faced with.</P>
<P>Africa's communalism has been replaced by
individualism of the west. Globalisation penetrates
the social fabric of our continent and undermines
everything. Africans are made to belive that they have
to compete so that they could realise their
dreams.</P>
<P>Armed with capitalism, globalisation menaced the
good system of communalism which for so long kept
Africans culturally and economically stable. The
cupidity of Africans today is a direct effect of
globalistion. Africa's system of rule was admired by
visitor some centuries ago. The empires of Ghana, Mali
and Songhai were examples of wonderful political and
economic creativity of Africans. Today, there are
world governments which determine the course of
economic and political survival of Africa. External
sovereingty has replaced internal sovereingty.
Individual countries have to sip the "global meal" or
else they are undemocratic. Ghaddafi and his likes are
styled miscreants or dictators because they are
reluctant to think like western people. Therefore
criminals are invented and sold in the world or global
market. This is the message of globalisation. But we
are only fooled by the cover of things like cars,
among others. Because these things seem to be the
"good life" we tend to be blinded by the menace of
globalisation. As a result, people cannot imagine a
world without these things. The issue is not the only
visible or tangible things that globalisation
presented. The real issue is the threat of
globalisation. The miscalculation and humiliation of
our values and good life is what people should start
to question.</P>
<P>If you have a mobile phone, you seem to be part of
"civilised global humanity". You drive an expensive
car, and you think you are "smart". Do we ever sit
down and think that one day globalisation will give us
the technology to make these crafts. With all the
rhetoric of globalisation, the west never thinks of
"globalising" the manufacturing of these items. We are
on the globe but not part of it. We are pushed to the
edge and marginalised. Let us tell the truth there
is&nbsp; a need for a rethinking and redirection of
Africa's trend of development. Both Aids and
globalisation are the greates problems of the 21 st
century. You have to know that globalisation entails
modernisation, westernisation, etc. There is a big
challenge for Africa. Africa has to free itself from
the clutches of endemic political and social diseases.
While Africa has opened for everything from the West,
Africans are denied entry to many parts of the West.
While westerners are trumpeting globalisation, they
are simultaneously turning away Africans and their
creation. In the name of development, Africa has
become the receiver of globalised funds. Today our
continent is engulfed in 'debtocracy'. Thus, the
stooges and sycophants present themselves to the west.
They become the representatives of&nbsp; the global
mongers and undermine their own values. war, disease
and poverty have been "globalised". In fact, millions
of Africans are dying because of poverty which is
invented by the "global" economic system. Africa has
been lured into a so-called world or "global market"
in which they enter as unequal partners. They become
the victims. But as victims they believed to be part
of the process of development. As people become
submerged in the material world, globalisation invents
scarcity. They begin to blame their own leaders for
failing them. The governments in Africa are usually
faced with these problems. No wonder, there emerges
countless political parties who think they can cure
the global mania.</P>
<P>Everything is not good in
everything.<BR><BR>---------------------------------------end---------------------------------------------<BR></P>
<P>I apologise for any typos as I had to re-type the
above article myself.</P>
<P>Have a good day, Gassa.</P>
<DIV><FONT color=#3333ff face="Courier New, Courier,
Monospace" size=4>There is a time in the life of every
problem when it is big enough to see, yet small enough
to solve. -Mike- Levitt-</FONT></DIV>
largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. <a
href='http://go.msn.com/bql/hmtag4_etl_EN.asp'>Click

To view archives of postings, go to the Gambia-L Web
interface
at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail
to: