GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ousainou Ngum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:06:49 -0700
Aunty Jabou:

   If you can recall, there was one such vessel purposely stalled off the
Banjul coast, sometime back . It was said to be carrying such cargo but the
National Environmental Agency (NEA)in Banjul later came out and said there
was no trace of such cargo onboard when they inspected it. Some businessmen
in Banjul were tied to the ship and its cargo. I would only hope that the
NEA was right in its report.

  This is one of my worst nightmares yet. I mean, do these people really
understand the hazards that they're bringing us? I can correlate what Ylva
referred to, as "a multi billion dollar Eco-Mafia", and your version of how
and why this is happening. It is indeed true that the perps have
co-conspirators(usually people of authority) in Africa, and thus their
success in committing these crimes againts the environment and humanity at
large. The sad part is that these crimes are being relegated to the
background by authorities/media and thus trivializing the impact it might
have on people and the environment. I hope this is addressed accordingly.
Thanks a lot for sharing your insight.

Ous Ngum.
On Wed, 27 Jun 2001 00:10:32 EDT, The Gambia and related-issues mailing list
wrote:

>  Ous,
>
>  The reason these companies are able to dump this waste in Africa and
other
>  so-called third World countries is that they pay big money to whoever
will
>  accept the waste for dumping into their countries, largely unbeknownst to
>  their general populace. It is greed and unscrupulousness that enables
this to
>  happen. The West may want to and plan to dump their waste into our
respective
>  countries, but if the responsible people in those countries do not let
them,
>  they cannot do it. It is the money unfortunately.
>
>  Jabou Joh
>
>  In a message dated 6/26/2001 11:46:35 AM Central Daylight Time,
>  [log in to unmask] writes:
>
>  << Ylva:
>
>      This is indeed very disturbing. I just can't get it when the west is
>   responsible for the destabilization of the Congo region, where vast
reserves
>   of Uranium are extracted, and end up bringing us the radioactive
residue.
>   This makes me sick! Everyone knows that the proper disposal of
radioactive
>   waste requires the kind of money that is sometimes more than the annual
>   budget of some African economies. I hope African leaders take this issue
as
>   serious as it is. Thanks a lot.
>    >>

>  if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write
your full name and e-mail address.