GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 10:17:45 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 12:52:27 EST
From: [log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Cc: [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask],
Subject: [wa-afr] UN Chief To Attend Ethiopia-Eriterea Peace Signing

U.N. chief to attend Ethiopia-Eritrea peace signing

ADDIS ABABA, Dec 8 (Reuters) - United Nations Secretary General Kofi Annan
said on Friday he would attend next week's signing of a peace agreement
between Ethiopia and Eritrea in Algiers.

At a news conference in Ethiopia before his departure for Eritrea, Annan
appealed to both countries not to rearm themselves now their dispute has
ended.

"Now that the war has ended, the urgent task of reconstruction both in
Ethiopia and Eritrea must begin in earnest," Annan said.

Tens of thousands of soldiers were killed in a brutal border war which flared
up in mid-1998 between the two neighbours in the Horn of Africa.

Annan appealed to international donors to help the two countries'
reconstruction efforts.

He described the agreement which will be signed on Tuesday as "a positive
step for both sides and for all of Africa."

"As it has been said, the year 2000 is a year for peace in Africa -- many
more wars now raging in Africa will have to be resolved. We hope we will do
to others in conflict what we did in Ethiopia and Eritrea," he said.

Annan said a UN peacekeeping force, which has started to take up positions
along the disputed Ethiopian-Eritrean border, would work with both sides to
build confidence.

The peacekeepers would be withdrawn once the border was properly demarcated,
he said.

05:58 12-08-00
> llllllllll
> *  //\\//\\ unioNews Newsgroup //\\//\\   *
> *http://members.aol.com/GhanaUnion*
> *          We're One People         *
> *          Join the Chorus          *
> -        "Africa Must Unite!"       -

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/1/_/23029/_/976297954/

Our next meeting is Wednesday, Nov 29, Safeco Ctr, E Main and 23rd (enter on upper level), Seattle
7:00 PM WSAN business meeting
8:00 PM Program: Nigeria Military & Peace Keeping
We usually meet the last Wednesday of the month.  To post a message: [log in to unmask]  To subscribe sending a blank message to [log in to unmask]  To unsubscribe send a blank message to [log in to unmask]  For complete information on the Washington State Africa Network visit: www.ibike.org/africamatters