GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 2002 12:20:08 -0500
Yusupha, I know you must be disgusted to your stomach seeing your good
parents’ names being dragged in the mud like that. You are right to point
out that if it were you that made such outrageous statements, you would have
been summarily ‘delisted’ (without any warning whatsoever). People can
sometimes provoke you to the brink. I remember the same thing happening to
your friend, Ebrima Ceesay, and he also almost ‘delisted’ himself from G_L
when he thought that people that insulted his parents were not being
adequately dealt with by List Management. Well, I would say the same thing I
said to Ebrima then and beg you NOT to voluntarily ‘delist’ yourself. If you
do that, then the provocation would have gotten the better of you.

You already showed the class your fine parents have inculcated in you by NOT
taking personal, LIES spread about you and your family. LIES should NOT
bother you. Anyone can jump from nowhere and tell the most vicious lie about
somebody. There is nothing you can do about that. But, you can control how
you feel about the LIE. In my opinion, you handled the LIE in question
appropriately by treating it with the contempt it deserves and NOT even try
to refute or acknowledge it. Way to go. Don’t honor blatant and outrageous
LIES by replying to it.

Again, your class was shown in your contempt for the predictable
‘double-standards’ practiced by some. It is that injustice that should
really bother you and all decent folk; NOT some off-the-wall LIE. But, no
matter how much that injustice bothers you, please do NOT ‘delist’. I know
the kind of message the ‘injustice’ sends to you. It tells you, like it told
Ebrima Ceesay, that while it is taboo to call APRC supporters sycophants and
morons, it is OK to disrespect your late father (who is no longer here to
defend himself). Let me tell you that that is NOT the ‘message’ decent folks
are sending to you. It is absolutely outrageous to disrespect you and your
parents in the way it was done on G_L. For what it is worth, I felt
depressed for hours after reading that vulgar language.

I know your parents very well and I know you and your two sisters. It is
just not you that your parents brought up very well to reach the pinnacle in
your field and go to the finest school in your field. Your two sisters are
also fine citizens and achieved a lot in their own right as well. Gambia
would have been a lot better place if all parents did like your fine parents
and brought you up to be fine scientists, accountants and economists. That
way, we would NOT have some low-life stealing power and emptying government
coffers. Obviously, your upbringing and your achievements were not fluke for
your parents. Like I said, you also have some fine siblings.

I just CANNOT understand how vicious some people can be. Many people in this
forum do NOT even know your father, yet they send all sorts of garbage here
about the man just to put you down. I might have some differences with you,
but one thing I will NEVER do is try to argue that you are NOT smart in your
field or disrespect your parents. That is plain wrong. I will for instance
NEVER say that your father was corrupt, because unlike a lot of people, I
know about his poultry, for example. This is what is disgusting about
certain people. You had someone like your dad, playing by the rules, working
hard for the government, running his own business (even before some of these
clowns were born), bringing up very fine children, never did anything wicked
to anybody etc. And what does he have in return? Yusupha, it is hard, but
you have to fight on. Please do NOT ‘delist’.
KB