GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Mbye Jabang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 1999 15:50:01 +0800
Asalaamu alaikum Gambia-L,

Alhamdulillah and on behalf of the SeneGambian community here and our
generous hosts in Pingtung, Taiwan, I am praying that Allah reward all those
who have sent prayers and notes of concern in the aftermath of the
devastating quake.

We say jaraama to Sisters Jabou Joh and Yai-Fatou Bala-Gaye, brothers
Abdoulaye Saine, 'suma mag' Katim Touray, Pa Ousman Jarjou, 'kotokay' Modou
Sagnia and Joe Ndiaye. Please keep remembering us in your prayers for there
are aftershock warnings throughout the next two weeks and some of those can
be deadly.

The earth quake is one of the biggest to hit Taiwan; about 7.6 on the
Richter scale. It has a similar magnitude with the Turkish quake. The death
toll is still rising (currently at approx. 1750). I don't know how many
Glers ever experienced a seismic activity of this magnitude, but to say the
least, it is scary. Can you imagine the shaking of a match box? Well that is
how this massive concrete buildings we live in feel when the earth shook.
Subhanallah. I am at a lost for words.

There were numerous aftershocks and the biggest of them happened at around
8: 20 am today recorded at 6.8 on the Richter scale. Indeed, your prayers
are answered since all of us are alive and well. My research was supposed to
be conducted around the epicenter because of the similarity of soil
conditions with the Gambia, but luckily cancelled, Alhamdulillah. I just
returned from visiting my tomato field and all is well. Jerejef to all of
you once again.

Allahumma salli wasallim alaa Nabiyyina Muhammad. Wasalaam.
Modou Mbye