GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 13:21:35 -0500
From FOROYAA Burning Issues NO: 1/2003 2 - 5 January, 2003

Interview With The New British High Commissioner,
Mr. Eric Jenkinson

On the 30th day of December 2002, our reporter had an interview with the New
British High Commissioner, Mr. Eric Jenkinson in his office at 48 Atlantic
Road, Fajara. The interview centred on the national relationship, African
relationship and international relationship with the British government.
And the interview goes thus:

FOROYAA: Describe  the relation between the  Gambia Government and the
British Government?

Mr. Jenkinson: Very good. Because when I had a discussion with the
President not long ago he was very open to me and on that day our
discussion centred mainly on bilateral relationship of  brotherly countries.

FOROYAA: How are you going to foster the relationship between the two
countries for the interest of their peoples?

Mr. Jenkinson: Well, I will try to continue the support that I found here
and work harder with government in the interest of the two countries during
my tenure of office in The Gambia.

FOROYAA: What assistance do you have for the Gambia?

Mr. Jenkinson: Well I have a lot assistance for The Gambia, like in the
area of education, health, agriculture, politically and especially in the
area of trade, industry and employment. I have in fact discussed with the
Foreign minister how to extend our trade, industry and employment relation
with the Gambian people.
And also during my discussion with the SoS for Foreign Affairs I did tell
him that the Speaker of The National Assembly would be also invited for an
official visit to the United Kingdom at the end of January 2003.

FOROYAA: What is your relation with civil society?

Mr. Jenkinson: Excellent. Because The Gambian societies are very kind, and
we share the same political system. We do share some traditional culture
too. And also we are looking at ways of how to help them to play an active
role in the political arena. Because we belief in freedom of expression. I
love the Gambian people.

FOROYAA: How do you see NEPAD as a new initiative for Africa?

Mr. Jenkinson: My contribution to NEPAD will be in many ways, like it's a
political support and also it could be also through the European Union (EU).

FOROYAA: Why is the British government behind America in supporting her in
whatever she says or does?

Mr. Jenkinson: No you are wrong, we don't support America in whatever she
says or does. We only support her for the interest of all nations. And we,
the British have many roles to play as well as the Americans and even in
the Middle East we do tell them, let us try and resolve the problem,
because we do tell to each other the truth when it comes to decision making
for the interest of the International Community. That is why I don't see
anything like someone is leading and the other follows.

FOROYAA: Why don't you assist the UN weapons inspectors in Iraq to do their
work effectively rather than pressurising them?

Mr. Jenkinson: No we are not pressurising them, but supporting them so that
they will give a concrete report to the UN. Because we all know that they
are an independent body and also experts in their work. And furthermore,
the team comprised the British, Americans and even the European Union not
only states are involved.

FOROYAA: Why are you insisting in eradicating Iraqi weapons of mass
destruction?

Mr. Jenkinson: We have clear evidence that Iraq is with weapons of mass
destruction. To prove that even the report that comes from the Iraqis
themselves was very clear manifestation that Iraq is with weapons of mass
destruction.
Furthermore, the preliminary report that the weapons inspectors reported
some time ago was another manifestation.

FOROYAA: Why can't you the British and the Americans regulate or control
your own nuclear weapons to inspire others countries  with weapons of mass
destruction, especially the small countries to follow suit?

Mr. Jenkinson: This one is not only the duty of the Americans or the British
alone, because there are conventions that we the UN member countries signed
to fight against this. And these countries include the Gambia which is also
a small country like Britain. That is why we all have a role to play in
this aspect. And let us bear in mind that accountability and transparency
must prevail in all countries and continents that are involved.

Background Information

Mr. Jenkinson was born on 13 March 1950. He is a divorcee. He has two sons
from his previous marriage.

He entered the Foreign and Commonwealth Office(FCO) in 1969. He worked for
the FCO successfully in Brussels, Islamabad, Jeddah, Riyadh, Bonn,
Frankfurt, Bahrain and finally in Tehran where he was first
Secretary/Commercial/Electronic, later (temporarily) as deputy head of
mission.
He left Tehran in 2002.

Source: FOROYAA (Freedom) NO: 1/2003  2 - 5 January, 2003 ISSN: 0796- 08573
Address: FOROYAA, P.O.Box 2306, Serrekunda, The Gambia, West Africa
Telephone: (220) 393177  Fax: (220) 393177
Email address: [log in to unmask]