GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Dec 2000 15:43:54 -0500
Ebrima, excellent piece. No one can put it any better. If the learned doctor
reads this and still go ahead and entertain these mental midgets, then I
will know that the people at Rust understand nothing about civil rights.
Like you said, it is insulting to us to see a high school drop-out like
Yankuba Touray being described as a 'distinguished' Gambian in a context
that suggests that Touray has a clue about what he is going to talk about.
The people at Rust have to understand that Touray, Yaya and these bandits
stole power from us. They do not deserve to be where they are. They are no
better than common criminals that use intimidation tactics to rob their
prey. These people were nobodies before 1994. None of them could point to a
single personal achievement that people can be proud of. We are not even
talking about material wealth here. These people did not even have a solid
basic education. Today, almost everything they have, they stole from the
poor Gambian citizens. It is insensitive and wrong for Stovall to try and
reward Yaya and his cohorts in this manner because he was feted with
taxpayers' money when he visited Gambia. It is Stovall's prerogative to
invite whomever he wants at the University. But it is also our right and our
duty to put the record straight. We will not sit by and allow him to
misinform the American public by calling murderers, thieves and rapists as
'distinguished Gambians'. The only thing that distinguishes Yaya and his
cohorts from ordinary Gambians, is their criminal behavior. And am sure
Stovall is not in the business of entertaining criminals at his fine
University. We will ensure that the student body know the true colors of
these vermin.
On a final note, I respectfully urge the families of murder victims of the
Yaya regime that currently reside in the States to consult lawyers to look
into the feasibility of bringing legal actions against these criminals once
they set foot in the States. This is not as farfetched as it might sound.
Some Africans have used U.S. Foreign Tort laws to bring actions against
African dictators. We can do it. I understand Yankuba Touray was deeply
involved in activities leading to the death of Koro Ceesay. If Koro Ceesay's
family is here, they can pounce on Touray as soon as he sets foot here. If
nothing else, it would be symbolic for federal marshals to go to the Rust
Campus and serve Touray with court papers. Ebrima, thanks again for your
invaluable contributions. I also thank your sources.
KB