GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
maria sisay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 14:40:14 -0800
Haruna:
 I am very impressed that the Gambians are becoming more aware of the mental disorders facing our country.  My question to you--who is going to monitor these psychotrophic medications and  making sure patients are assess appropriately before distribution of the medication occurs?
Thanks
Mama Sisay

  Haruna Darbo <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Ladies & Gentlemen, Here is how we intend to proceed with the medication we wish to send to Gambia: 1.We will establish the required chain of custody for the medication. Which means from the manufacturer to Us and from us to the patient who will receive it. This means that anyone who comes in contact with the medication will be known to us and the excuse that we are not doctors is not good enough to skirt this responsibility. 2.We will separate the prescription medication from the non-prescription medication and other administration paraphernalia and store them separately in a climate controlled facility which we have already secured. 3. We will inventory and catalogue everything we have received and we will fax that information to the recipient health centers and authorities prior to shipment so we can establish need and knowledge about their administration and an affidavit of acceptance from these folk. 4. We will peruse the federal register for literature on the drugs and their safe-use approvals and we will discard any that are either expired or discontinued from adverse side-effects. We must exercise due care because drugs approved for mental treatments are tested differently from ordinary prescription drugs. Information from the manufacturer alone is not good enough. Some of the medication has residual effects that may affect generations of the patient. 5. After the above-mentioned steps, we will share with you exactly what we have gathered and we will then approach you for your assistance and donations. Meanwhile, if any of you had intended to donate to the medication effort at this time, we urge you to channel your goodwill to the stationery and school supplies effort that Mr. Sainey Faye is coordinating. Sainey may be reached at [log in to unmask] . After we do due diligence, we will have satisfied our conscience and will feel more comfortable in approaching you good folk for assistance. 6. We will share with you the contents as we go along so that some could already be finding out more about the drugs. Some of the things to consider will be the reaction between these drugs and tropical foods and other medication prescribed in tropical Gambia. We know that most if not all drugs have side effects but we must satisfy ourselves and the medical personnel must convince us in public that their side-effects are not generational and that they are outweighed by the benefits. We must not go on heresay neither must we settle for the fact that doctors will receive it in the Gambia. First, we must know the identity of whoever receives it. He or she or they must give us a written affidavit of desire to receive and will sign a manifest upon receipt. We either do it right or not at all.The non-prescription medication however will not be held up since anyone can purchase those over the counter. 7.Then we will ship what our due diligence allows us to ship with the condition that we can monitor the dispensation to some extent because our responsibility does not terminate when we ship it. Being part of the chain of custody, we bear responsibility in affording access to anyone who may administer them, doctor or no doctor. In conjunction with accepting properly donated medication, This group will form a permanent cadre of Gambians who will receive drug needs from the hospitals and clinics and then purchase or solicit the drug manufacturers directly to secure the drugs and ship them directly to the ordering medical concern. Royal Victoria, Bansang, and Yorobawol hospitals come to mind and religious charities such as the CRS, Ahmaddiyya, and the Seventh Day adventists or other Islamic medical charity will be engaged. We can do a lot of good. But let's do it right. On behalf of Mariama, Maila, Sigga, Sainey, Albury, I wish to thank you for indulging us and we look foreward to sharing our experiences with you in the future. Haruna (for goodness sakes).