GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rene Badjan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:29:41 EST
   The forthcoming 2001 election in the Gambia, should be a very decisive
moment in our political evolution. As such, it should be given the utmost
attention by all Gambians, who very much care about how the country should be
govern from thereon. I have intimated in an early posting, that the emergence
of the second republic in the Gambia, now accords us the opportunity to start
building the foundations for a viable democracy.

     When the Gambian people jubilated at the dawn of this new beginning, it
may or may not have been miscontrued as support for the new military rulers;
however, it was evident that they were celebrating for the event that makes
change possible. Now it would be much easier, to further enhanced change,
given that the political indifference that has characterized the past, and
helped consolidated the previous regime for too long in power, is beginning
to erode. Those who govern presently, should be imbued with a patriotic
desire, to ensure that the best interest of the nation should always be the
determining factor, that should guide our approach towards the elections.

    We have now come to recognize, that constitutionality is the best vehicle
in which we can all participate, through the various organs and structures
that are constitutionally created; that constitutionality could judiciously
carved the destiny of our nation, whereby  our citizens are guaranteed the
free expression of ideas and beliefs; whereby our citizens could vent their
anger and frustrations without being injurious to the nation and others; and
also, whereby our citizens could shout at the top of their voices in street
corners and utter their grievances against the status quo.

   It is in such a constitutional framework, that our nation can evolve in
peace. It should be in such a constitutional framework, that POWER, must be
instituted and regulated. Yes, power must be regulated. It must not be
monopolized neither consolidated; it must be contested, and peacefully
transferred. Power, therefore, has become a contentious bastion, which
fundamentally resides with the people who constitutes a nation. Thus the need
to seek the mandate of the people, for a government to gain legitimacy, and
excercise power on their behalf.

  With the debate surrounding the Constitution, not so much as to what has
been done, or what has not been done, we are now exposed to an instrument
that brings us back to a constitutional government, yet needs to be
reevaulated to take into cognizance some of the popular wishes of the people,
 particularly term limits. The emphasis should now be on the composition of
the next parliament. Given that the parliament has been vested with powers in
the constitution that can create a balance, it is important that those  who
offer themselves to the people to serve them, should be imbued with a
selfless dedication to do just that. Whatever we can do to help this process,
is just great.

   Rene