GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 02:46:36 -0700
West Africa Review (2000)
ISSN: 1525-4488

DR. JEKYLL AND MR. SOYINKA: THE STRANGE CASE OF NOBEL SCHIZOPHRENIA

Ali A. Mazrui

I. On Fatwas and Falsehoods
II.. On Politics and Identity
III. On Images and the Media
IV. Soyinka’s Martrydom and Mazrui’s Nigeria
V. The Politics of Ancestry
VI. Concluding Observations APPENDIX: “A 1992 Plea for Reconcilation”

Henry Louis Gates Jr. reminds us that behind every civilization is a
theme of barbarism. Similarly, Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894) alerted
us that within every individual is a Dr. Jekyll (good) and a Mr. Hyde
(bad). Skip Gates tries to deal with this dualism at the civilizational
level. Stevenson handled it at the individual level.

Dear Mr. Soyinka,

Let me recapitulate a few Jekyll/Hyde contradictions about your open
letter to me. You ask of me, you demand of me “decorum in handling
colleagues”, yet you make this demand within the most indecorous diatribe
to hit the Internet since the Gates debate began.

Your recent unrestrained critique of me is full of false, dangerous, and
libelous inaccuracies. You implicitly accuse me of being in support of
the death-penalty fatwa issued by Imam Khomeini against Salman Rushdie
when I am and have been an unrelenting opponent of capital punishment in
all cases.

You charge me with being an “academic Double-007 with license to libel” –
while you serenely and falsely accuse me of once trying to incite your
own assassination. How dare you! You demand of me “respect for the truth
with regards to one’s colleagues” while you accuse me of publishing
articles in Nigeria of which I have never heard: Articles that you claim
were deliberately intended by me to add fuel to the flames of
sectarianism in Nigeria!

You accuse me of lying yet you yourself perpetrate one falsehood after
another from Philadelphia to Kaduna. On the one hand, you claim to uphold
high ethical standards, yet on the other you are willing to engage in the
most scurrilous, uncivil and unsubstantiated attacks on my character.

I. On Fatwas and Falsehoods

Paranoia makes many African rulers tyrannical. Those who are paranoid
think that those who disagree with them are trying to incite others to
assassinate them. Paranoia must explain why Mr. Wole Soyinka both in 1992
and in 2000 implied that I was “diabolically” trying to encourage
Northern Nigerian Muslims to eliminate him once and for all.

Paranoid African dictators strip some of their rivals of citizenship. Mr.
Soyinka, using his own tactics, has repeatedly tried to strip me of my
Africanity. (Because he is not a chief of state, he does not have the
legal power to strip me of my citizenship.) Furthermore, you have tried
to strip me of democratic legitimacy in Western circles by portraying me
as a Muslim fundamentalist in support of Iran’s fatwa against Salman
Rushdie. In your public rantings against me, you have disgraced the
meaning and the search for truth. Why?

Being an inexact and careless scholar, Mr. Wole Soyinka thinks he knows
what my position is with regard to Ayatollah Khomeini’s fatwa on Salman
Rushdie. How far is Mr. Soyinka prepared to carry his Islamophobia?

Mr. Soyinka’s first intellectual failing with regard to the Rushdie
affair involves his failure to understand that critics of Salman
Rushdie’s Satanic Verses are not necessarily supporters of Ayatollah
Khomeini’s fatwa against him. This simple distinction is beyond this
Nobel Laureate’s ability to grasp. I disliked Rushdie’s book intensely
but I never have supported Iran’s fatwa against the author. I said that
from my very first public statement about the Satanic Verses in a public
lecture at Cornell University in 1989.

The Iranians sentenced Rushdie to death. However, in my Cornell lecture I
declared that I was against the death penalty not just when applied to
Rushdie but when passed against anybody and for any offence whatsoever (a
very unusual position for a Muslim to take publicly). My Cornell lecture
has been widely disseminated, published in several different scholarly
journals, and translated into other languages. And yet I am almost
certain you, Mr. Wole Soyinka, you have never read it – otherwise you
would not have continued to assume that my criticism of the book
translated into my support of the fatwa and of the Iranian death penalty.
Such rash and false conclusions are unworthy of you and are dangerous!
Despite your lack of accuracy, you lecture others about “respect for the
truth.”

A young Egyptian in Philadelphia at the African Studies Association
Conference this last November wanted to know if Skip Gates was to the
black race what Salman Rushdie had been to the Muslims of the world – a
“cultural traitor”. Unlike Mr. Wole Soyinka, the young Egyptian had done
his homework on my writings (extensively, as it happens) and was
challenging me if I would apply to RACE what I had applied to RELIGION –
the concept of “cultural traitor.” Basically I told the young Egyptian
that the concept did NOT apply to Skip Gates – since Gates was genuinely
struggling with a dilemma and had not crossed to the other side (or words
to that effect). I do not regard Skip as either a “cultural traitor” or a
“racial traitor”. It seems that Wole Soyinka wants to create enmity
between Skip Gates and me where none has existed so far. But please do
not go about trying to inject poison into my relationships with other
people! Skip and I are in serious disagreement about one particular
project: “Wonders of the African World.”

You promised to apologize publicly if you got this Philadelphia story
wrong. You did get it wrong. If it is on tape, you will hear the real
exchange. I shall await your public apology.

In my criticism of Skip Gates’ “Wonders of the African World”, I found it
incomprehensible that Professor Gates could fail to film in Nigeria, an
undeniably crucial country. If Skip Gates’ reason for not filming in
Nigeria was because Nigeria was under a reprehensible military dictator
(Sani Abacha), why did Gates film in Sudan which was under a regime
widely regarded at the time as morally more repugnant? This was precisely
the question I had posed when I had criticized Gates for ignoring
Nigeria.

In any case, since Gates could film in Sudan and subsequently denounce
Sudan’s policies towards the Nubians, Gates could have filmed in Abacha’s
Nigeria and subsequently denounced Abacha’s human rights record in Gates’
“Wonders of the African World”! Gates could have filmed in Nigeria and
still said nasty things about Abacha in the final TV product.

In your critique of me, you mentioned Randall Robinson of TransAfrica as
one of the African Americans you approve. I hope you will not change your
mind about Randall Robinson when you learn about his reaction to Skip
Gates’ “Wonders of the African World”. After having watched the series,
Randall wrote to Skip with one ringing and eloquent verdict – “ SHAME ”!
Perhaps you may like to publish Randall’s letter to Skip in your
projected special issue of TRANSITION magazine. Randall’s letter is a
miracle of brevity as a television review! Please get Randall’s
permission to publish! Here is one person who was a crusader against
President Sani Abacha – but Randall has also been disgusted by Henry
Louis Gates’ “Wonders of the African World”.

II. On Politics and Identity

In a letter addressed to you in 1992, and copied to Skip Gates, Kwame
Anthony Appiah, and Henry Finder, I begged you to end the “fratricidal”
warfare between us. I said that many younger African scholars and
intellectuals were disturbed to see their elders in such brazen
confrontations. I begged you to bury the hatchet. I attach a copy of that
letter to this open memo as an appendix.

Until the Gates TV series this last fall, I thought you had heeded my
appeal. I had not seen any personal attacks on me in international
publications since our debate in TRANSITION magazine in 1991-92. I
thanked the Lord that two aging African intellectuals had indeed decided
to bury the hatchet. Your Dr. Jekyll seemed triumphant.

When “Wonders of the African World” hit the airwaves in the fall of 1999,
our mutual friend Skip Gates – who had played such an important part in
our reconciliation in 1991-1992 by allowing us to thrash out our
differences in Transition – became the inadvertent cause of your new
declaration of war on me in 1999 and 2000. This time you had decided to
go for the jugular. You leave me no choice but to defend myself in the
strongest possible terms. It is you who abandoned decorum first. Your Mr.
Hyde is now alive and well.

Your most despicable attack involved your questioning my Africanity. I do
not need either your permission or your recognition to be an African. As
a celebrated human rights campaigner, it is unworthy of you to be a
champion of racial purity!! My African identity is not for you to bestow
or withhold, dear Mr. Soyinka.

You have been going around the world asserting that I am a religious
bigot; I do not plan to go around the world saying that you are a racial
bigot. Yet from your own statements about me I have more evidence of your
racism than you have of my alleged religious bigotry. The idea that any
African who has Arab blood needs special permission to remain an African
is a new form of racism that Africans will not and cannot countenance. Or
is your anti- Arabism a new form of anti-Semitism, given that Arabs too
are Semites?

You are on very dangerous ground. Did you know how the Nazi Holocaust
gathered momentum? When Nazis were unsatisfied with whether or not German
Jews were really German! The Nazis searched for Semites (Jews in this
case) to eliminate them. Are you willing to play a similar, dangerous
racial game?

Mr. Soyinka, now you want to know whether certain Swahili families (like
the Mazrui) are really African. Are you aware of what you are doing?

For the Nazis Jews could not be German. For the Nazis it was not enough
that a 70 year- old German Jew had been a patriotic German all his life.
With mattered was that he was a Jew. Dear Mr. Soyinka, is it not enough
that a near-70 year-old Ali Mazrui has been a patriotic African all his
life? Is that insufficient? Are you insisting that what matters most
about Mazrui is that his African blood is mixed with Arab blood, thereby
making him less African or not an African at all? It is out of racist
logic of this kind that such evils as ethnic cleansing and fascism are
born. Do you want to be associated with such evils?

Intending to exclude me as an African, you say “we, black Africans with
no hangups . . .”! I am told that when my TV series first came out, you
said “a TV series by a Black African is yet to be made”! In the United
States they used to quantify how much “Negro blood” was necessary to make
one a “Negro”. Have you decided on how much blood we need to fit your
category of “Black Africans”? Does President Jerry Rawlings of Ghana
(being technically half-white and half-black) belong to your category of
“Black Africans”? How do you regard our distinguished poet, Dennis
Brutus?

If purity of race is your basis for defining who is an African, why did
you ever boycott apartheid South Africa? It pains me that your racial
paradigm has a lot in common with the kind of society the white racists
there were trying to create. And yet I know you were trying your best to
boycott South Africa and fight apartheid. Why spoil your record by
appearing to be racist in your old age?

Regarding my public criticism of Skip Gates’ “Wonders of the African
World” at the ASA conference in Philadelphia in November 1999, you said I
tried to destroy Skip Gates’ credibility as a scholar there. It is true
that I was one of the strongest critics of his television series at the
session in Philadelphia. On the other hand, I did try to get Professor
Gates to come to Philadelphia to defend his TV series. Similarly,
Professor Phil Curtin was invited to the ASA to defend his notorious
letter to the Chronicle for Higher Education in 1995. Phil Curtin
accepted the invitation; Skip Gates did not.

If Gates himself could not come I had asked earnestly if Kwame Anthony
Appiah could come to Philadelphia in his place. Both the President of ASA
(Professor Lansine Kaba) and myself wanted Gates to “have his day in
court” in Philadelphia. Those actions of mine were not the actions of
someone who wanted to destroy Gates professionally.

In your critique of me, you are offended that I spoke as Skip Gates’
elder brother. Was Skip himself offended by my brotherly tone or was Wole
Soyinka pretending to be the offended voice of Skip regardless of Skip’s
real feelings?

Switching to the language of brotherhood is totally in the African
tradition, my touching on the presumptive rights as an elder brother is
also totally in the African tradition. Can we expect Mr. Soyinka to
remember those African basics? The Nobel Prize can be intoxicating!

There is one statement I made about “Wonders of the African World” that I
am prepared to reconsider. Should the series be used at major centers of
African studies in the country? At first I thought it should not be so
used at all. But now I feel that at the graduate level there is room for
a TV series which can generate so much debate. On the other hand, in high
school and at the undergraduate level this advantage is outweighed by the
principal negative message: that the main architects of the Atlantic
slave trade were Africans themselves. This incorrect message is even more
damaging to younger audiences.

In order to challenge the false political and historical implications of
“Wonders of the African World”, I did challenge Skip Gates to a debate in
TRANSITION magazine.

If you want TRANSITION to be a serious venue for a debate on Gates’ TV
series you had better entrust that special issue to a GUEST EDITOR –
someone other than Gates, Soyinka, Appiah or any employee of the
magazine. The debate has now become so acrimonious that only a Guest
Editor could have the necessary credentials for editorial impartiality.
You personally have taken the debate to new depths of inexplicable
animosity.

III. On Images and the Media

In your critique you say that you plan to answer a two-part article on
Islam that was allegedly written by me and which appeared in a Nigerian
newspaper. I know nothing about this article! It would help if you would
send me copies of the article to prove your point. And if you are going
to answer me in a Nigerian newspaper, it would help me if you sent me a
copy of your response also. For the moment I have little option but to
regard your allegations about the article as further proof that you may
be prone to either an overactive imagination or poetic hallucinations!!

When you write to express concern about Islamic militancy in Northern
Nigeria, I hope you will not forget to express concern about
ethno-cultural militancy in Southern Nigeria. Both trends are deeply
worrying.

Since you are a non-Muslim Nigerian, you are understandably worried about
the rise of SHARIA based state (SHARIA-CRACY) in one Northern state after
another. But non- Yoruba Nigerians (and the Yoruba President of the
country Olusegun Obasanjo) are equally worried about some of the
activities of the Odua People’s Congress (OPC) (ETHNOCRACY) in the
South-West.. Those of us who genuinely love Nigeria are indeed worried by
both trends. Have you compared which trend so far is costing more lives –
SHARIA-CRACY in the North vs. ETHNOCRACY in the South-West?

One more falsehood in your account about Nigerian newspapers and my
relations with you. I did not send to the Northern Nigerian newspaper in
1992 “a specially selected part” of my article in which I ostensibly
accused you of being “a hater of Islam”. I sent my ENTIRE article “Wole
Soyinka as a Television Critic” to BOTH The Guardian in Lagos and The
Democrat in Kaduna. Why did I seek to share that article with Nigerian
audiences, both North and South? See my letter to you of 1992. (Copy
attached here).

Is it possible for an article of mine to be published in a newspaper
abroad without my knowing anything about it? Of course it is. This was
brought home to me when I was visiting Harare in Zimbabwe in January
2000. The lead-letter to the Editor in The Herald newspaper on January