GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 2 Jun 2002 07:05:36 +0200
Jungle,
It is very true that the idea of technological backwardness weight heavy in
the minds of many post Independent African leaders
and  forced some of them to choose side in the cold war,but to argue that it
is responsible for our problem in food production is
nonsense.Because no African country was involved in heavy industrialization
programme.Infact what he is saying is not even
new, our colonial masters have been saying this to us since before
independence,farm the land.
Why is it that more than half of our population are involved in agriculrural
production and still hungry,whiles in America and Europe a very few percent of
their population are involved in food production and have enough food for
themselves and the left overs for us(Food Aid) ?The truth is that
,agricultural production is very backward in our country and not
industrilised,been at the stage it is,there will be no enough  labour power to
produce enough food for ourselves.
This is also the reason why  his excitement over the call by President Jammeh
for the youths to returned back to the land to be
some how ridiculous.Who told him we have shortage of  agricultural labour
force in our country,the crude nature of
agricproduction is not only a health hazard(back breaking,early old age) for
the majority of our population but a contributing
factor to the destruction of the eco-system in our country,just think of all
the bush fires for more farm lands and etc.Think of the
massive poverty caused by farming in the country and yet still we are
demanding for more farmers.A better organization of
farming is more of our need now and not more farmers.
His discussion of the eco-system seems confussing but should direct that too
to the president,that having crocodiles
pounds and other animals at Kaninlia are equally dangerous to the eco-system
,because it is not their natural breeding place.
Off course there are external factors,but overshadow by the internal
ones.Thinking here more the hypocritical standpoint of both
the World Bank and other financial institutions on the question of
agricultural subsidy,whiles denying third world government to
do that,the richest nation in the world,USA,is still involved in subsidising
agricultural farming and here is a country with over
production of agricultural food.Well I can understand this gentlman of the
eco-system,that he has a political programme to
promote,but it is much more better for him to hold on to that than involved
himself in our politics with so a heavy opinoin,without
having much knowledge of our poverty problems
Turn our youths to scientists and keep them off the land,pay the farmers their
Moines so that they can be more productive.

For freedom
Saiks