GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 10:35:01 +0100
Lamin Manneh

I think you have said it all for me. I was thinking of
posting a similar email on the "L" but yours is quite
adequate.

Comrade Conteh

I have noticed your concern about the forthcoming
elections. Eventhough, we have had series of
disagreements on the way forward for the opposition,
at no time did I consider you as an opposition within
an opposition. Instead, I consider you as someone so
eager to see that Yahya is overthrown through the
ballot-box,  come October 2001. It would therefore be
dishonest for anyone to consider you as an opposition
within an opposition. I share most of your views on
the situation before July 22 1994. For your
information, I have never supported the PPP regime. In
fact, during my first voting experience in 1987, I
voted for the opposition in both the Presidential and
Parliamentary Elections. Talking about an United
opposition brings back memories as to how I exercised
my vote for parliamentary election for the Serrekunda
West Constituency. For your information, I was a young
ardent supporter of GPP led by that decent politician
Assan Musa Camara. Although GPP had a candidate for
the Serrekunda West,Sam Pierre Mendy, I decided to
vote for Gibou Jagne the NCP Candidate, who won with a
majority of 190 votes. This is a clear manifestation
of tactical voting, since I knew that a vote for the
GPP candidate would be a waste vote. In fact most of
my colleagues casted their vote for the parliamentary
elections along those lines.  Your views therefore on
a united opposition is all geared towards ensuring
that a successful  tactical voting mechanism is in
place to unseat Yahya through the ballot box, it does
not at any cost illustrates your dissent within the
opposition camp, but it is one of caution which all of
us take note of.

On that note it would be premature for anyone to brand
you as an "enemy within". I have read all your emails
and cannot at anytime regard them as Anti- Opposition.
99% of us within the opposition have been campaigning
for political tolerance and if your views are not
tolerated, then surely we should give up the struggle
to unseat Yahya through the ballot box. If we intend
to muzzle any one with different views as to winning
the election, then surely we are moving towards
dictatorship.

With this in mind, I urge you not to think otherwise
but to take note of Lamin Manneh's advise and move
forward. Dissent within the opposition is not a crime,
it's only a crime when the enemy gains from it.

To refresh your memory; Come October 2001, Gambia must
be free as Yahya must go

Long Live Gambia
Long Live Democracy.

Have a wonderful day

Sanusi

Mr. Conteh, your position is cleared. The opposition

=== message truncated ===