GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ams Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Dec 2003 23:07:38 EST
Sorry to tell you Bro., but you got it wrong this time. The enforcement unit
vs. the number of animals bred and slaughtered at these farms and plants, are
just too much to handle. As you watch TV, the PR firms, as was in the case in
the UK, are at work. Remember, the beef industry is GW's backyard...a rancher
himself, but eats free range meat/organic. One last thing, the biggest worry
amongst medical practitioners nowadays, is the abuse rampant misuse and abuse
of antibiotics, laced unto the food chain, especially within the meat and diary
industry. Not only antibiotics, but also, hormones. No wonder we have a lot
of hormone/adrenaline-fed kids forced to rapid growth and rapid aged, what, in
those days in Banjul were called "Cow & Gate Babies." Sometimes I wonder
whether there's a correlation's, with Gambian or African kids accelerated aging,
and the consumption of these artificially induced hormone poultry and meat
byproducts? Like I warned my friends, it's better to buy a $8 free range chicken
from a farm, rather than pay $3-5 at the store, regardless of, halal or not.
When this happened in The UK, it was the same spiel from the industry and
some politicians. As reality sets in, they had to face the bull by the horn and
cleaned house for good. I stop eating meat and chicken upon reading of the
practice of feeding road-kills and carcasses to other animals. What gave me the
inspiration at abandoning meat, was at a farm in New Jersey, where I witnessed,
animals being shot in the head, to immobilized them before slaughtering and
then dumped in boiling water, still kicking, before rigor mortis sets in. It's
funny, when you drive around New York and New Jersey and see all these Puerto
Rican and Italian stores with Halal signs. Granted, it's market forces of
demand and supply but, the ultimate decision, is CHOICE!

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are
evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
 - Albert Einstein
"
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change
the world. Indeed, its the only thing that ever has."
- Margaret Mead

"When the government fears the people, you have liberty. When the people fear
the government, you have tyranny."
- Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke