GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
omar joof <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jan 2004 15:14:39 +0000
Mr Jallow,
The historical fact is: European powers and traders initiated, organised,
maintained and terminated The Trans Atlantic Slave Trade, with their profit
margin always being their most paramount consideration. There were
collaborators on the African side though (just as our home grown brutal
dictators have collaborators), but firstly, most of them were forced by the
aggressive nature of the trade to join in(after it disrupted other economic
activities like farming), and secondly, the contributions of the African
collaborators was minute when compared to the huge investments of the
Europeans in the trade.
You may not be advertently apologising for the brutal and inhuman behaviour
of European mercantile capitalism as exemplified in the Trans Atlantic Slave
Trade, but your remarks pertaining to African collaborators resonates the
position of some historians( J.D.Fage et al.). These scholars do not only
apologise for the slave trade indirectly by exaggerating African
contributions to the trade, but in general they propagate the Hamitic
hypothesis. The most modern apologist thinking to come from this quarters is
"presentism".
I urge us all, not to be overwhelmed by the failures of our founding fathers
and our current predicaments. Africa has the potential to develop, if only
most of us dedicate ourselves to serving our peoples rather than riding on
their backs; and the west agrees to radically changed the nature of our
trade relations for our mutual benefits. We are not asking for anything
more!
Omar Joof.