GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
JAYE CEESAY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 19:35:51 GMT
I was just doing some idle surfing when I came accross the last election
results held in 1997.  I find it real interesting that the opposition
especially UDP did so well at a time when Yahya was not as unpopular as he
is today.

These elections took place at a time when a lot of Gambians still had faith
in Yahya and his Government.  At a time when he had his picture on
prescription drugs from RVH offering it free to the people.  Remember the
days of the APRC rice? How about the time  he put up all that
infra-structure including the arch calling it development. These elections
took place well before he killed and maimed innocent victims and stepped on
the rights of the media and the entire Gambian population; well before he
ordered the shooting of school children and most recently the
mis-information about tractors and the list goes on and on.  With a little
bit of logic I guess we all know where Yaya is heading.  Simple - I think
his time is up!

PS: One thing I fail to understand is the low voter turn-out in some places
expecially in the Greater Banjul Area where I dont think lack of
transportation could not have been a factor.  Check-out the link below for
the 1997 election results.

http://www.gambia.com/new/election.html