GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:56:29 GMT
Matarr/Dampha,

I agree with you guys entirely. I'm a reluctant convert to the concept that
Gambian civilians should defend themselves against this govt. by violent
means if necessary. That is the reason why I stayed clear of Dampha's debate
all the time he's been calling for opinions on the issue. But, what happened
in Basse was a deliberate attempt on the lives of the UDP leadership. And if
those people had not summoned the courage to stand up and fight back, most
of them will be dead by now. No doubt about that. And ABSOLUTELY nothing
will come out of it! And what some people overlook is the fact that Yaya's
thugs are the armed party in that confrontation. So, assuming that because
"they are armed to the teeth," they'll roll over anyone who stands up to
them is exactly the type  of mentality these fools want Gambians to have. I
especially love Matarr's Ben Franklin quote. Smart man Ben was. It's
precisely because of people like Buharry that we've had the Mobutus, Idi
Amins, Mois, Eyademas, and Yaya Jammehs around for so long. When you admit
to a despotic bully that you're scared straight, or that your love for the
country is such that you'll wait for nature to take care of a despot, you're
playing right into his hands. None of us on this forum gave the UDP people
any advice regarding what they did in Basse. They saw what they were up
against, and they did exactly what they ought to do. If they repeat that
scenario a few more times, political thuggery as we know it, will be a thing
of the past.

Anyone who grew up as a boy in Gambia remembers a time when Bully X, or Y
tells you not to go to the playground, or he'll beat the living daylights
out of you. And he does many times! Your only hope is that Pa A, or B will
pass by and save you. But often, these savers arrive a minute too late. So,
your friends start taunting you as a "chicken," and your tormentor shows no
sign of letting up. Any chance he has to show all and sundry that he has
something over you, he never misses the opportunity. So, when or where does
it stop? The bullying stops the minute you realize that when you hit back at
Mr. Bully, it's as painful to him as when he hits you. When you look at that
Bully dead in the eye and say "Mborr, if you hit me again, I'll hit you
back," he ridicules you because you're Mr. Chicken, right? Wrong. Even if
the Bully wins in the fight that ensues, he never torments you again,
because you've just taught him a lesson that you have the capability to
fight back. Take it from one who's been there, and I have no doubt that I
speak for many boys. And I don't care how large the group is, Bully
Mentality is the same everywhere. Show them you're spineless, and they'll
never stop. But the minute you hit back with all that you've got, their
long-lost common sense comes right back!

I couldn't agree more with Dampha on his analysis of Buharry's piece. As far
as I can tell, he's clearly shot down all the fanthoms the latter has put
up. At this stage of our struggle to remove the cancer we're dealing with,
there's no better way of fighting than engaging in a multi-pronged approach.
The fence-sitting, and Yall Bahna approach is simply becoming too expensive.
We can't win our country back on a silver platter. Something has to give!

Saul.