GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ansumana Kujabi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 May 2000 06:07:35 GMT
The massive demonstrations held in New York City, London, Sweden and in many
other Cities around the world is a clear indication that President Jammeh
MUST GO and safe our country from total destruction and blood-shed. His
behavior has not only turned-off the entire Gambian population, but
turned-off also every international community. I have been talking to so
many Black Americans and Asian community who have all expressed their
outrage over the killing of innocent students in a country which had known
peace for decades. Now the word PEACE IS MORE THAN JUST A NAME to every
GAMBIAN living in and outside the country.

The important question WE GAMBIANS NOW FACE is how do we GET RID OFF JAMMEH?
Do we use the BALLOT-BOX, or do we use ANY MEANS NECESSARY? Another
important question we face is, WHO IS THE RIGHT PERSON TO REPLACE HIM?
Starting with the former question, could Jammeh be voted out in a free and
fair election? And will he accept a defeat and step down? I think the answer
to this question could only be possible if Jammeh lifts the ban on all
political parties and encourage the atmosphere for a free and fair election
where INTERNATIONAL OBSERVERS WOULD BE ALLOWED TO COME AND ORGANIZE AND
MONITOR THE ELECTIONS. But past and present experiences have clearly
illustrated that Jammeh will not be willing to invite International
observers to come and arrange and monitor a free and fair election; because
he knows that even past elections, he rigged it by force, that could have
been the elections which he could have won squarely. Now could he win
elections under such turmoil and dislike and anger, ofcourse not. So
therefore, could Jammeh be removed by ballot box? Obviously, he would do
what ever it takes to remain in power.

The above analyses takes us to our latter question, ie BY ANY MEANS
NECESSARY? May be  not. We do not need bloodshed in one of the most
beautiful and peaceful countries in the world. A country which had been firm
friends with the international community could not afford to encourage
bloodshed; and more significantly, WE GAMBIANS DO NOT WANT A CIVIL WAR, and
this is the SEED which Jammeh has sown, encouraged and is currently
practicing. A presidency which has been based on only INSULTS, THREATENING
TO BURY PEOPLE SIX FEET DEEP, KILLING, RAPING OUR WOMEN, TRIBALISM,
LAVISHING OUR RESOURCES ON MARRIAGE CEREMONIES, SENDING 40 PEOPLE TO MECCA
UNNECESSARILY, STEALING, LYING ETC. will not ofcourse be ready to encourage
a free and fair election. Then do we have to used force to eject him? Or do
we have to beg the international community to help us. The option of
appealing to the international community would only prolong the situation,
since countries such as the United States, Great Britain, France, Germany
etc would only act when their own interests are absolutely threatened, or
when situations back home becomes totally worst, which we do not hope to
happen. MY PRINCIPAL QUESTION TO YOU FELLOW GAMBIA-LERS IS WHAT THEN DO WE
HAVE TO DO TO GET RID OFF THIS MAD MAN CLINCHING ON TO POWER? Do we have to
be patience and hope that one day a free and fair elections would get rid of
him? Or do we have to use any means necessary?

Finally, after all said and done, who will be the right person for our
beautiful country who will bring tremendous peace and harmony, and
credibility back into the country? This will be another difficult
undertaking, which we all need to weigh in. To that end, LONG LIVE THE
GAMBIA, LONG LIVE FELLOW GAMBIA-LERS.

ANSUMANA KUJABI