GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Jan 2002 07:02:12 +0800
Mr. Gassa:

It still does not matter whether Mrs. Bajen
Sosseh polled 15% during the APRC candidate
selection.  She has every right to run as an
Independent, and if she wins, she has every
right to provide a block of votes for the
APRC during legislative debates.

We must be willing and able to accomodate
those who may have different views.  I believe
that politics of inclusion will serve the
APRC better.  Carrying an APRC flag should
not be criminal in nature, but a civil case
that the party can use against Mrs. Sosseh.
Arresting her will send a chill message,
especially at a time when the party is trying
to move to the center.  Being an independent
should not disqualify Mrs. Sosseh as an APRC  supporter.  This kind of political decision is wrong.

I hope with your endless efforts and concern
to constructive engagement, you can convince
the APRC to use a litte kinder and gentler
political approach.

I am of the realization that The Gambia cannot
move forward if we fail to be inclusive.  After
many debates, I must admit that I am greatful to
those I disagreed with.  This further has
convinced me to be tolerant and understanding in
dealing with people.  It is easier to make enemies,
but a lot difficult to make friends.  One must,
however, be sincere with people.

Finally, I thought of the late Hon. MC Jallow,
who I can attest, never had any enemies.  In my
view, Hons. MC Jallow and Fa Kebba Nyama Leigh
were the only PPP ministers that I did not
hesitate to talk to.  It did not matter to them
whether I was in the opposition.  This was then,
and I hope we can have more of these two great
men in our legislature.  After all, are we not
all Gambians?  Why would SOS Touray threatened  to arrest Mrs. Sosseh and her supports for carrying the
APRC flag?

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh
Greensboro, NC/Kombo East Constituency