GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sillah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Dec 2001 23:50:06 +0000
Amadou Kabir,

Your points on Zims and Mugabe are indeed very
interesting. I agree that the whole issue is basically
economic interest but we also have to admit that
Mugabe had 20 good years to act on this land
re-distribution issue and he didn't. Look at what
Mugabe is doing to his own people...state sponsored
thuggery and terrorism. Look at the ZANO-PF thugs
burning down people's houses, beating pregnent women
and disabling independent media houses. Infact i want
to believe that Mugabe is still not intersted in a
fair land re-distribution in his country. The fact of
the matter is that the guy is losing and he is using
every measure to cling to power including building
controversy over the land problem. Indeed the fertile
lands in Zims have to be redistributed but at whose
expense because 80% of the farms forcibly seized are
not utlized or managed properly. Rather than spend
large sums of money maintaining an army in a usless
war in the DRC, Mugabe colud use that money to help
resettle the poor farmers on the newly acquired lands.
But he will never do that. Instead he will be happy
harassing poor people for a problem that is his own
making. so let Mugabe act. But you know what he will
not because the commitment is not there. I want to
believe that for Mugabe he will more at ease to have a
chaotic and  strangled democratic institutions so that
he can remain in power. Whenever his thugs kill an
oppenet(a citizen of Zim) he is not bordered. But
whenever those same people even organise a mare
political meeting he confortably sends his police with
orders either to maim or kill. This the everyday
predicamet for the already over-stretched ordinary
Zims. Mugaabe's madness is a dergerous trend for
Africa because any dictator can just do the same thing
and the by time the world acts it is already too late.
Let the land issue be resolved...but let Mugabe also
gives and accepts the rights of his opponents to life
and political divergence.  I am always very upset when
i see African governments peddle this nonsense of
development at the expensive of people's rights. Zims
could have been a better place now had Mugabe acted a
long time ago. If he is to continue blaming people for
the same problems happening 20 years ago then his
leardership credentials are questionable!

E Sillah

 --- Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]> wrote: > Hi
Hamadi,

> I've always taken Mugabe's side on this issue. The
> Blacks were forcibly
> removed from those lands by whites because they
> possessed superior weapons.
> Plain, daylight armed robbery! Today, they talk
> about the rule of law. Give
> me back what is mine, then we can begin to talk
> about the rule of law.
> History didn't begin when Mugabe with the backing
>  edicament are "Western",
> read (cowboy).
>
> Regards,
>
> Kabir.

Nokia 5510 looks weird sounds great.
Go to http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/nokia/ discover and win it!
The competition ends 16 th of December 2001.