GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sillah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 20:25:00 +0000
Jassey Conteh,

I find your discuse on the above issue very
interesting and revealing. Rather than taking you to
task on certain basic fundamental political
principles, i would like to ask the following
questions first:

(1)Being on the ground, so far i have not heard from
neither Dibba nor NCP about a marriage with the ruling
party. Instead Dibba's call on Jammeh as he put it
"was to renew his faith in the path to democratic
governance environment." But reading your message it
seems that your party has infact gone into some sort
of marriage with the ARPC. Is this your individual
position or that of the party's?

(2) Am informed by highly dependable and usually
realible sources that all the opposition parties are
to have a meeting tomorrow (thursday) for a possible
strategic allaince. Are you telling us that your party
has oupted out of the strategic alliance?

(3)You indeed called for an end to the unlawful hiring
and firing of civil servants, respect for human rights
and the rule of law. But interestingly during the
campaign your party did not take resolute firm
position on these issues either by uttarance or
manifestation when it was in the opposition during the
campaign. How when it is in marriage with the ruling
party will it maintain a stance on these important
pillers of a democratic state?

(4)In the wake of the marriage that you talked about,
what would become of the NCP as a political party?
Will die a natural death or will it continue to
maintain an independent bereau where it will still
function as a party?

(5)Since the NCP could not muster 10% of the popular
vote in the just ended presidential election, what
weight interms of mutual issues of crucial government
decisions will your party have because i guess these
are some of the things you need to address in any
political marraige.

(6)Since you said you are ready to pay a price for
your choice (which i very well respect), how far are
you ready to go in the face uncontrolled harassment
and intimidation of opponents?

I asked you these questions because your party
leadership is not talking to the press on them. Am not
sure why(and i will not speculate)but i want to
believe that since you seem to be a trusted partner in
the NCP hierarchy, i hope you will be able to answer
the above questions. I can only approach your take
when i really know your party's position on some of
the issues am a bit confused about.

Your Nieghbour,
From Jambur Village,
Kombo South,
Western Division.

 --- [log in to unmask] wrote: > Baloney! I have never
heard this kind of absurd
> rationalization on this list.
> If you ever wondered why our festering national
> problems keep getting worse,
> look no further than the kind of prattle that Jassey
> -Conteh is presenting as
> a serious document.

Nokia 5510 looks weird sounds great.
Go to http://uk.promotions.yahoo.com/nokia/ discover and win it!
The competition ends 16 th of December 2001.