GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Modou Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:11:40 +0000
Thank you very much kotoo Momodou Sidibeh for such an informative response.
I am very interested in reading things like that, for it is not only about
how one feels about a specific music or musician, but also about the part
they play in the society they function in. I hope people like myself who
haven’t had a chance to read such a thing will have the opportunity to do
so. Thank you for the information.

Mr Jeng,

Thank you also very much for making things a bit clearer for me, I
understand your points and I am happy that we are in the same footing. The
Gambian musicians need some encouragement and support and we should try to
do something about it if we can. Mbalax might be the music played in the
streets, on radios and in homes around the country, but it is not the only
kind of music with that position.  All other kinds of music are gaining
popularity except for Gambian. To single out the Mbalax as we did is what I
am worried about.

We all need to help in this but first, the musicians would have to work
harder, the business community has to pay some very serious attention to
this problem. How ever we think about music and musicians in the Gambia,
music is a commodity as any other commodity today and as a commodity it
needs some financial backing. The good songwriters have to be involved,
there is a market to be taken.

Thank you and respect!
Modou