GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 16:35:28 -0400
Yusupha, thanks for the response and I promise not to put you in the same
paragraph as the mental midget again. I also respectfully urge you to
re-read my piece because I think you made a lot of misstatements and put a
lot of words in my mouth (so to speak) that I did not say. I did not try to
send any subtle messages to you. I was categorically saying that it is wrong
to criticize the Opposition unjustifiably just for the sake of trying to be
different. And I also explained that the opposite is also true. One should
not be a sycophant and blindly support the Opposition because other people
are doing so. I hope I made myself clear. People have to be consistent and
back up their criticisms or support for the Opposition. When I saw your
piece, I detected someone trying to criticize just because he wanted to
appear different. I said that because I am of the opinion that your
objections are premised on shaky grounds. This was made clear by my earlier
post. No subtleties.

I understand your point about Joke all right. I just do not buy it. But I
think we can agree to disagree on this one. I think however that you have
been bamboozled by Joke. See, Joke is not loyal to the party at all. Joke is
loyal to Yaya and Yaya only. If defending Yaya means saying that the party
is culpable, he will say so. If it means saying that the army is culpable,
he will say so. For the Jokes of this world, the buck stops at them. So long
as Yaya has not touched them personally, they would not even fight for their
own blood relative. So if Joke concedes something in the name of the army or
the APRC or Isatou Njie-Saidy, Joke is not giving the Opposition anything in
the larger scheme of things. Without Yaya, APRC is nothing. Conceding in
APRC's name, does not represent a conflict of interests in the issues that
matter. So your continued insistence that Joke is loyal to the party,
evinces that you are looking at the wrong relationship. I am looking at Joke
and Yaya. You are looking at Joke and the APRC. Tell me what relationship is
more important to the big picture? What character had a bigger impact on the
Massacre of our children? Yaya or APRC?

As I said on this forum on numerous occasions, attacking Joke and discussing
other issues are not mutually exclusive. Debating Joke does not mean that
people are not discussing other issues. What issues are we neglecting? Even
if we neglect other issues, are you comfortable trying to force people to
discuss issues you think are pertinent? Don't you think that is a bit
arrogant and dictatorial? You are right about the irrelevance of Joke the
character. What is important is the lies he brings here. That is what we
seek to debunk. Do you propose that we leave the propaganda unchallenged? If
Joke comes here and say that UDP are a bunch of angry and hateful people
without a plan for the country, do you just want us to say nothing and let
that lie stick? What is a diversion is calls for us to give Joke a free hand
while we duplicate noble efforts of other comrades.

Moving to the 'pressing issues' as you called them, re-read my piece. I
never claimed that I was working with any Movement behind the scenes. Please
do not misquote me. I gave you examples of Opposition members that (unlike
me) were NOT engaging Joke. And I asked you to find out what they were doing
to see for yourself whether the whole Opposition is ignoring 'pertinent
issues' and 'lambasting' Joke. I hope you understand me this time. I also
told you that I do other things for the struggle which I did not see the
need to publicize over G_L. I hope you are still following me. I DID NOT say
that I had a collective agenda with any body.
Having clarified that point, I still urge you to do some research and know
what people are really doing before you accuse them of doing nothing. I do
not need to prove anything to anyone that I do not want to. Nor does other
Opposition members. When the time is ripe, you and G_L will hear from
people. In the meantime, don't just assume that people are sitting on their
laurels. We all know that time is of the essence and elections are fast
approaching. I know for a fact (because I did some research) that people are
working tirelessly to make sure that the Opposition wins in October.
Strategies do not have to be discussed on G_L for them to come to fruition.
Plans are being put to actions everyday. Think back about the London
Briefing. Most of the work that went into that I am sure was not discussed
on G_L. Before the ALD people informed us about the proposed meetings for
the participants coming from Banjul, did you know that that was in the works
via G_L?

Again, I never said that attacking Joke will 'help the election fund drive'.
Don't misquote me. What I said was, attacking Joke will help the 'election
drive'. See the difference? I even went through the trouble of explaining to
you that debating divergent views is what elections are about. If APRC
brings their propaganda here and we debunk their lies, the Opposition
benefits come election time. We can show our people for instance that
despite APRC claims that they 'developed' the country, our people are still
poorer than they were pre-1994. You have a problem with us putting our point
across and debunking those lies that are aimed at misinforming our people? I
hope you understand that the point I was making has nothing to do with the
fundraising activities of comrades like Joe Sambou. Why you interpreted my
statement in that light is mind-boggling to me. It is ridiculous to say that
attacking Joke will help us raise funds. That does not make sense. When it
is all said and done, you will be pleasantly surprised about the source of
funds for the Opposition. You will come to learn that the bulk of the funds
will be from people you have never heard of on G_L. Yusupha, the Opposition
struggle does not begin and end on G_L.

I also hope that you understand that I do not have a problem with your
criticism per se. But I think you do even yourself a disservice if you
criticize certain entities or certain people in a certain way. You end up
antagonizing people and they will not accept your criticism. That is in
nobody's interest. Are you comfortable coming here to say that you are good
at seeing problems but you are not good at pointing out solutions? Again,
you do not have to come up with solutions all the time, but if you know that
you do not have solutions, don't you think it is ill-advised to be harsh in
your criticism of people that are at least trying to come up with solutions?

On the cross-carpeting issue, I want to ask you what do you think is the
UDP's message and how should it be changed to stop the cross-carpeting?
Before you attribute the cross-carpeting to a weak or nonexistent message,
don't you think you should apprise yourself with the issues UDP cares for?

I also sensed that you misquoted me again on the vote buying. I frankly do
not have the time or the inclination to debate again points that I made
several weeks ago in numerous postings. Quote me where I said that the Kiang
'defeat' was solely attributable to vote buying. I never said that. I said
that the votes that were bought could have overturned the elections. I have
no doubt that you would not have problems following my logic. If you look at
the absent voters, they were more than the number of votes the APRC won by.
I use the vote buying argument to explain the 'absentee vote'. Another issue
that was never discussed exhaustively was how do we explain the number of
people that voted for APRC (as opposed to the people that did not vote at
all). You see how we are talking about different topics and potentially
different causes for the election debacle? Vote buying was responsible for
the disenfranchisement. Something else I do not want to get into here was
responsible for people deciding to vote for APRC and not UDP. So again I do
not know where you got the notion that am arguing that vote buying was the
sole cause of the election debacle.

On Waa Juwara, I am glad that you retracted your earlier assertion that he
and the party are 'antifeminist'. That label is simply untrue. I also cannot
agree with you that Waa should be clairvoyant enough to think that his
statements will be interpreted the way you and the APRC did. He was very
specific about the 'fairness' issue. He was NOT making a statement to
encompass all women and their role in society at large. Now as I understand
you, you are criticizing the man for NOT answering a question he was NOT
asked. Tell me if this is reasonable and whether it is justified to
castigate the man in the way you did for not answering a question the
interviewer did NOT ask him.
In my humble opinion, you should give a 'hoot' about the APRC record on our
women. It is very relevant. They are the ones in power as we speak. Waa does
not have the power to appoint or fire any woman now. He might never have
that power. He does not have the power to brutalize our women and their
families. APRC has that power. Commonsense dictate that we also talk about
the APRC record. Why waste our energies attacking a 'non-record'.
Discouraging people from voting for UDP and ignoring the APRC record.

I agree entirely with the first sentence of your last paragraph. As for the
second and last sentence, I would say this: your criticism would just be
accepted in the way it is given. If it is respectful, it will be treated
with respect. If it is arrogant and ill-advised, it will be treated with the
contempt it deserves. Here I am speaking strictly for myself and how I
approach criticism. There is nothing wrong with constructive criticism. I
know you have potential to do a lot of good. I encourage you to exploit that
potential to the maximum and speak out. If we agree, fine. If we disagree,
fine. None of us has intellectual property rights to the truth and what is
good for the country.
KB