GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ylva Hernlund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:30:49 -0800
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 21:53:45 -0500
From: William Minter <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [us-afr-network] Mozambique floods & US response

Just some comments and (below) some sources for more info.

U.S. has reportedly committed about $550,000 -- less than several
small European countries -- I have not heard of any helicopters being
sent by Washington to help -- tho Pentagon planes carried some supplies
from Europe for the floods -- am I wrong? As the waters from Kariba and dam
move down river, the floods are only going to get worse.  What does U.S.
reaction say about sincerity of speeches made at Summit?

From commentary in BBC on-line over last few days

http://new.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/africa/default.stm

"Hardly two weeks have passed since the highly publicised
"Summit on Africa" in Washington DC. The rhetoric was about
how much Africa matters, and how committed the United States
was to its plight. Well, there you have it. What matters to
the United States and others are Africa's resources and
business opportunities, and certainly not its people.

-- Pete Ondeng, Netherlands

"It is amazing how quickly naval war ships (aircraft carriers)
can be moved around the world to protect financial interests
of the world's powerful nations. Why can this force not be
used to carry out rescue missions? Surely there are more than
enough helicopters and why must they wait for requests for
aid. We can all see how people are dying, why can't they?" John
Baatjes, New Zealand - Ex South Africa

"It was sickening for me to see people this morning on the TV
news up to their waist in water, waving their arms. How is it
that there are planes available to fly media into the area to
film the devastation, but only five helicopters for an entire
country? If the United States can justify getting involved in
warfare in Eastern Europe, Iraq, Vietnam and Korea by saying
it was for the good of the free world, I really think they
would be walking the walk if they arranged to have rescue
vehicles go to Mozambique ASAP. Maybe the U.S. doesn't have
any vested interest at stake such as oil, etc., but from a
humanitarian point of view, I wish they would use their
influence QUICKLY because these people I saw this a.m. up to
their waist in water may now be drowned. I just hope the
powers-that-be could picture themselves in these people's
shoes for a few moments, and come to appreciate the horror,
fear and uncertainty they are facing. "

Mike Latona, United States

More information from:

http://www.africanews.org/specials/floods2000.html

http://www.reliefweb.int/IRIN/archive/mozambique.htm

For info on bank accounts to contribute directly to Mozambican
Red Cross:

http://www.africapolicy.org/docs00/flod0002.htm

http://www.tropical.co.mz/~wim/moclinks.html

William (Bill) Minter
1812 Newton St. NW, Washington, DC 20010
Phone: (202) 234-0338
Fax: (202) 546-1545 (attn: W. Minter)
E-mail: [log in to unmask]

@Backup-The Easiest Way to Protect and Access your files.
Automatic backups and off-site storage of your critical data.  Install
your FREE trial today and have a chance to WIN a digital camera!
Click here.
http://click.egroups.com/1/1830/5/_/192352/_/951879294/

-- Create a poll/survey for your group!
-- http://www.egroups.com/vote?listname=us-afr-network&m=1