GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elow Wole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 May 2001 14:18:48 -0000
Soffie Sarcastic,
I'm not gonna turn this into an argument with you.  So let's turn this foul
morning, to a fair day.  If you think I just want to give Momodou Camara a
hard time, think again.  I started getting iffy with him from his past
postings. To refresh your memories, here are the L rules posted by Momodou
Camara in February.

Dear List Members, GAMBIA-L is not a moderated list, and for this reason,
all postings are sent directly to subscribers without intervention or
screening by list managers. For this reason, postings are the responsibility
of subscribers, and not list managers or St. Johns University.

Postings on Gambia-L are archived, meaning they are stored on the computer
that runs the program runs the listserver that sends mails to all
subscribers. Thus, you can obtain any and all postings that have ever been
sent to Gambia-L since it’s launch at the current location through the
Web-interface at: http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
whether you are subscribed to Gambia-l or not.

Subscribing to Gambia-L

Gambia-L is a closed list, meaning that you cannot subscribe yourself to the
list. Thus, someone, (any of the list managers and owners) has to subscribe
you. When people send in their requests for subscription, it is received by
all managers and the first one to have the chance adds the person. All
managers can also see which manager added a new member. People can only
un-subscribe themselves without the intervention of Managers and the
Managers can also see who signed off.

Participating in Discussions

It can be very rewarding to subscribe to a mailing list. This is even more
so if, like Gambia-L, the list you subscribe to links people of the same
nationality, or interested in the affairs of a nation and it's peoples. The
constant exchange of ideas, information, greetings, and yes, harsh words is
indicative of how helpful mailing lists can be to people all over the world.
Along with all these and other benefits come some pitfalls, and drawbacks
that must be borne in mind when you communicate with Gambia-L subscribers.
The following is aimed at providing you with a brief introduction to the
do's and don'ts of mailing list usage and should hopefully help you make the
best of the list. Further, it is hoped that by using Gambia-L more
efficiently, you will also be of even greater value to it's subscribers, and
hence The Gambia and her friends.

At First

There's always a first time! For this reason, we've all at one time or the
other have felt excited, nervous, unsure or whatever about our first message
to a mailing list. Thus, you're not alone in feeling like a newbie, new
computer and Internet users are called.

Your first message to Gambia-L should be your self-introduction. The next
step after sending in your self-introduction is to do nothing! Don't send
any messages to the list. This might sound bizarre advice, but your silence
will help you learn about the atmosphere of the list, how people debate, and
what issues are of concern to subscribers. Just sit back and read postings
that come your way. This act of lying down low in a mailing list is called
lurking. Once you feel that you're comfortable with the list, you can start
sending postings.

How long should you lurk? Well, it depends on a number of issues such as the
amount of traffic when you subscribed, whether you've had experience with
other lists, etc. For example if you subscribe at a time when there's not
much debate going on, it will take you a while to get a healthy number of
messages that can be used to judge the atmosphere on the list. On the other
hand, if you join in the midst of a raging controversy, you can bet that the
volume of traffic generated in a day will be enough to tell you what you've
gotten into.

One final note about lurking. Even though it is important to keep quiet for
a while, it doesn't mean that you should not send in replies to questions
that are time-sensitive. For example, if you just subscribed and someone
asks about something you have knowledge of, please feel free to help and
answer the question. This is especially true if no other responses are
forthcoming from other list subscribers. You might very well be the only
person who knows the answer to a question.

Human Issues

Perhaps the most important consideration in your mind is the fact that even
though we are all communicating through the medium of computer networks, we
are all human beings. This means that we have feelings, a sense of justice,
and a desire to be treated with respect. For this reason, please ask
yourself the simple question: would I appreciate someone telling me what I
am about to say? This is especially important when you are inclined to
respond to a posting, or send out one in a fit of rage. In times like these,
we are especially prone to say things we do not really mean, and live to
regret. And given that everything sent to Gambia-L is archived, you really
can't take back what you said.

It is important that you work toward mature and responsible postings. This
is for the simple reason that a lot of people on Gambia-L have nothing to
judge you by other than your postings. What you say reflects you a lot, and
you'd be advised to make sure that it is the best of you that comes out. And
it's a small world. You never know when you're going to run into someone
who's been reading your postings on Gambia-L.

We all like to be humorous, and even sarcastic sometimes. However, desirable
as these traits are, we should be very careful with them in e-mail because
of the potential for being misunderstood. Unless you use some well-known
jokes or humour, you can be sure that some subscribers would either not get
it, or be outrightly offended. Even when you say you're just joking! So
what's one to do to avoid being a bore? Well, necessity they say is the
mother of invention, and so some conventions styles have been developed to
address the need for conveying emotions and jokes through e-mail. ASCII art,
emoticons (sometimes called smileys) all offer some means of being funny
without being offensive. They are discussed in greater detail in the Power
Usage section of this manual.

Gambia-L is about sharing. So it is important that you give back as much as
you can. It doesn't take much to send a short e-mail message with the
address of a Web site you think might be of use to someone on the list.
Passing on such information will not only help people, but will also make
you valuable to many people. And you never know when they are going to feel
obligated to return your kind gesture!

You should also remember to never be personal. At all costs, avoid getting
dragged (downward) into fruitless arguments and wars of words. Such personal
verbal fights are called flame wars, and can only poison the atmosphere of a
mailing list. The best service you can do to Gambia-L, and indeed The
Gambia, is to refrain from flaming. If you get attacked anyway, you should
respond to that person in private. Between the two of you, you can engage in
any kind of argument you want, and for however you want, as long as it is
between the two of you.

Gambia-L is not just about agreeing all the time. By all means, feel free to
disagree with postings sent to the list. However, you should be aware that
you are most helpful to the list if your criticism is constructive and
helpful. Shouting down people, personal attacks, and the like help no one on
the list, including yourself. Also, you should cite references to support
any claims you make in your postings. Or at the minimum, be prepared to give
people who ask evidence to support whatever it is you are claiming.

E-mail Style Guide

E-mail is a wonderful medium, no doubt, but it also is different from other
forms of communication in many respects. For this reason, it is important to
be aware of certain issues when you do e-mail. This would not only save you
trouble, and embarrassment, but it will also save a lot of people a lot of
trouble.

Perhaps the most important habit to develop in using mailing lists is to be
brief. Gambia-L subscribers receive an average of 10 messages a day from the
list. Considering that people subscribe to a number of mailing lists, it is
easy to see that many people are barely coping with a lot of e-mail already.

For this reason, you'd be doing everyone a great favour if you are brief,
and to the point. People who want more detail about whatever it is you're
talking about can always ask that you send it to them in private. Toward
this end, it is advisable that you always indicate in your posting that you
can send details to anyone who asks for them, if that is, you have any more
details to give out.

You can also help people a lot by using descriptive titles in your Subject
headings of your e-mail to Gambia-L. An e-mail with a Subject titled
"Request for help on locating Gamtel's phone number" is much more
informative than one that simply says "Help!." The first heading will help
people decide faster than the second whether they can be of any help or not.
And every second saved is a second that can be spent doing something else,
or helping people!

Gambia-L has a diverse base of subscribers. This should be an important
consideration as you compose your e-mail to send to the list. Thus, you
should avoid being too technical, because not everyone is, or too casual
(because not everyone is your acquaintance), or too for this reason, you
should think about your audience.

You should avoid being redundant, or repetitive. Because people get a lot of
e- mail, you should not waste their time by repeating what's already been
said. Although most e-mail packages will append a copy of the mail you are
replying to to your reply, you should not include all of it when replying to
a posting. You can summarize what you are following up on, and if you have
to quote the original posting, do not quote everything. To indicate that
you're leaving material out of your quote, uses ellipsis (...) or *SNIP* as
shown in the examples (culled from the ListProc Info file - the former
server of Gambia-l) below:

a) full quote > > Keep in mind that when referring to a <list>, that list
may be of two > kinds:local or remote, unless otherwise noted. When
referring to a > local list, your request will be immediately processed;
when referring > to a remote list (a list served by another
ListProcessor(tm) which this > system knows about), your request will be
appropriately forwarded. > Issue a 'lists global' request to get a listing
of all local and known > remote lists to this ListProcessor(tm). >

b) shortened quotes (first, using ellipses, and tben using *SNIP*)

> > Keep in mind that when referring to a <list>, that list may be of two >
>kinds:

> > Keep in mind that when referring to a <list>, that list may be of two >
>kinds: *SNIP*

Note the dramatic reduction in the amount of reading you have to do when the
shortened quotes are used. Also, because people reading these shortened
quotes already received the original message, they still can follow your
argument with just one sentence long reference to the posting you are
responding to.

Another important issue to be constantly aware of is the fact that Gambia-L
is a public forum. This means that there's no privacy in the e-mail you send
to the list. Indeed, everything sent to the list is archived, meaning that
it is stored in a computer at the St. Johns University, and can be retrieved
by anybody with Internet access. This sounds so obvious that it seems dumb
to talk about it. However, it is important to emphasize the point, for the
simple reason that some people think that it is enough to delete an e-mail
message to ensure that it's gone for ever. Nothing is further from the
truth. A simple rule of thumb when using e-mail is that because of the lack
of privacy, you should not write anything you would not want to find in the
newspaper tomorrow.

Do not type your e-mail message all in UPPER CASE LETTERS. For one thing, it
is much harder to read stuff in ALL CAPS than in regular mixed-case format.
While you might be tempted to use all caps to emphasize a point, this is not
the way to do it. You should sparingly use caps for emphasis. For example,
the sentence: "I would like to express my strong DISAGREEMENT with the
fellow" is much better than: "I WOULD LIKE TO EXPRESS MY STRONG DISAGREEMENT
WITH THE FELLOW" Obviously, the point you are emphasizing is lost in the
second format of the same sentence.

Gambia-L Etiquette

There is no point in sending certain messages to the list. Anything that
should be taken care of by list management should not be sent to Gambia-L.
They simply would not be able to help. For example, sending a "Please
unsubscribe me" message to the list would not do you, or any one any good.
Such issues are best addressed to list management, if you want to save
people trouble, and have your problem dealt with.

Do not send your response to a posting to Gambia-L if it is not going to
benefit others on the list. In this case, send your response privately to
the person who sent the posting you are replying to. An example of this is
if one writes to ask if anyone knows of the whereabouts of a friend he or
she would like to contact. Obviously, there is no need to send the friends
phone number to Gambia-L.

In the same vein, do not send private replies to Gambia-L without the
consent of people who sent them to you. If some one sends you information,
it is safe to assume that they meant it for your eyes only, and it would be
polite to seek their permission before sending it to Gambia-L.

Replying to Gambia-L can be a potential source of embarrassment. The list is
setup such that if you press the reply button of your e-mail program, it's
going to send your reply to Gambia-L. Thus, make sure that e-mail you are
sending is going to where you think you want them to before you press that
send button. Otherwise, you'll find all of Gambia-L being privy to what you
thought was strictly between you and the person you wanted to send your
e-mail to.

It is common courtesy and professional to sign your postings. This is
especially important given that you can use almost anything as your username
and e-mail address, rather than your real name in e-mail messages. For
example, if your e-mail address is [log in to unmask] how would anyone know
that your postings are from Lamin Sanneh of Juffureh if you don't tell them?

Besides your name, your signature can also include other information such as
your address and phone number. It might even include what's called ASCII
art, an artform that uses characters and numbers to draw pictures. Whatever
you want to include in your signature, please keep it short (5 to 6 lines),
and do not include any blatant advertising of commercial products and/or
services. It's just plain bad taste.

You might, from time to time, come receive files appended to postings on
Gambia- L. It is safe and sound policy to exercise caution with attachments.
This is especially true of executable files (with the extension ".exe",
".bat" or ".com") since they are the most common ways for viruses to be
spread. To save people the trouble of deciding whether to download an
attachment or not, and prevent spreading computer viruses, you should not
send any executable files to Gambia-L.

Try limiting the number of questions you ask in a posting to one or two.
This is for the simple reason that it's a lot easier to deal with one issue
at a time given the large number of subscribers on Gambia-L. The practice of
limiting the number of questions you ask per posting not only saves you
trouble, but also makes it easier for subscribers to follow the progress of
debates on the list.

Still on the issue of asking questions, it is also good citizenship to
summarize responses to a question and send it back to the list. For example,
if I ask about choosing a school for my child, it would be great if I
summarize all responses I received to the question and post it on the list.
This will not only provide a neat synopsis of what the responses were, but
it would also foster a spirit of cooperation and collaboration on the list.
And that's what it's all about in the first place.

No matter what, DO NOT ever, ever post "Me too" or "I agree" type messages
to the list. If you agree with what someone says, please reply to them in
person, and not send out a two word message to the list. This practice is
especially annoying if you quote the original message you are replying to,
only to add "I agree" at the end of it. And it's not enough to say "I
disagree" either. If you disagree with the contents of a posting, you should
elaborate, to keep the discussion going.

People sometimes ask questions that have been answered before on the list.
This might be because they joined after the question was asked, or simply
forgot. Such questions should be answered in private, or left to less busy
people to deal with. Don't worry about the question going un-answered
because the person asking it will repost it in the event no one answers it.
If it's asked a second time by the same person because no one answered it
the first time, send the poor fellow a reply to their e-mail address.

Gambia-L is not for chain letters. Please save us the trouble and refrain
from sending chain letters to the list. Obviously, you can send petitions
for to raise funds for charitable and philanthropic causes and the like,
given that Gambia-L is for helping Gambian progress. If you have chain
letters that you think are interesting, please send them to your friends,
and not to Gambia-L. If you must inform us, you can post a brief description
of it and ask people to request that you send them copies of it privately.

With regards law, never post copyrighted material on Gambia-L, unless you
have permission from the copyright owner to do so. Although it is common
occurrence to find copyrighted material being distributed at will on the
Internet, Gambia- L cannot afford to openly flout laws that regulate these
issues. We are being hosted by St. Johns University on the understanding
that our list will not be a forum for people to break laws.

If you really want to inform people about material that's copyrighted, the
best thing to do would be to send the Web address of the publication or
information. Gambia-L subscribers can then visit the Web site on their own
to access the information. For those that don't have direct Web access,
(e.g. in The Gambia), you can fax or mail them the information, or by
whatever other means at your disposal. But positively NOT via Gambia-L.

Power Users

You've by now seen them all: IMHO, BTW, FWITW, ;-), RTFM, and on and on.
Welcome to the Internet lingo called netspeak. These abbreviations and
symbols are useful tools not only because they save a lot of time, but also
because they have provided a means to convey emotions over the Internet. To
get you started, here are a few common abbreviations that are used on the
Internet:

Abbreviation Translation IMHO In My Humble Opinion BTW By The Way FWITW For
What It's Worth RTFM Read The Freaking Manual (you'll get this when you ask
a question that's answered this manual!) Smilies, or emoticons, are also
often used on the Internet to convey emotion in e-mail. Smilies are composed
using ASCII characters such as the colon, hyphen, and left and right
parentheses. The following are a number of commonly used smilies.

Smilie Translation IMHO In My Humble Opinion BTW By The Way FWITW For What
It's Worth RTFM Read The Freaking Manual (you'll get this when you ask a
question that's answered this manual!)

LIST MANAGEMENT Gambia-L is managed by volunteers. Gambia-L managers are
responsible for subscribing new members, and helping them make the best of
the facilities offered by the list. They should be contacted if you have any
problems with your subscribptions. But before you contact them, please make
sure that your problems are not originating from your e-mail provider but
from Gambia-L server.

The following are the current people responsible for the management of
Gambia- L.

List Managers

Momodou Camara <[log in to unmask]> or <[log in to unmask]> Dr.
Amadou Scattred Janneh <[log in to unmask]> Sarian Loum
<[log in to unmask]> Soffie Ceesay <[log in to unmask]> Ndey
Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]> Awa Sey <[log in to unmask]> Anthony Loum
<[log in to unmask]> Malanding S. Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
or <[log in to unmask]>

All the List Managers will receive mails sent to:

Thank you reading.

The above is an edited version of an extract from the Gambia-l user manual
by Dr. Katim Touray a couple of years ago.

Best regards,

Momodou Camara Copenhagen - Denmark