GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Hamadi Banna <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:44:00 -0500
I'm surprised that Mr. Collins can use such desultory, indeed racist
language to react to Ebrima Ceesay's source of information.

What is more shocking, though, is that Mr. Collins threatens legal action
against a people who are expressing genuine concerns about their own
country. He claims dual US-UK citizenship, countries where the rule of law
does not condone the cold murder of school children, the abduction and
murder of government officials, the arbitrary arrest and detention of
critics, and the blatant siphoning of public money. Show me your friend and
I'll tell you who you are. Mr. Collins shares the same bed with a President
whose human rights record is one of the worst in Africa. Yet, he threatens
to contact the INS about these 'illegal aliens' that are using St. John's
University to question his business interests in The Gambia. Does he know he
is dealing with a mailing list hosted on a server at St. John’s. Duh!

I wonder whether Mr. Collins is a Republican? His high sounding and glaring
racism (rhetoric about illegal aliens, etc.) shouldn't be shocking if we
should assume that he is from the Deep South-if his company address is
anything to go by. Yes, the Deep South, the hotbed of racism in the US,
whose history is full of horrifying stories of 'Jim Crow', mob lynching, the
mass murder and rape of black people… and yes, cotton growing and peanuts
shelling. No wonder that his friend, President Jammeh, has hurriedly
congratulated the man who helps grease the Texas death chamber with the
bodies of black children.

Almost four decades after our 'independence', African governments are still
allowing our countries to be used as junkyards and our people as guinea
pigs. 'Funny', and seedy little companies like Hilo (Kilo?) led by dubious
characters would be implanted on African soil while the top executives of
the host country would connive with the expatriates to milk our economies.
No doubt Mr. Collins thinks we're stupid, that he can scare us away like
weaverbirds on a cotton field.

At the end of it all, it is the Gambian farmer who will be taken for another
ride. They'll be handed promissory notes of dirt-cheap prices for their
crops, humiliated if they should protest, and intimidated to vote for
President Jammeh the next round of elections.  Meanwhile, most of them
cannot afford the exorbitant costs of education, they eat good meat maybe
once a year (during Tobaski), and they eventally die of birth pangs on a
donkey cart or succumb to a curable tropical disease due to the absence of
drugs.

All what Mr. Collins has said in his various emails is peanuts!

As concerned citizens, we need to know the credibility of Hilo (Kilo?)and
what recipe it is about to force down the throats of our parents.

Mr. Collins should think again before getting himself knee-deep into mud.

Hamadi.