GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha C Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 May 2001 19:57:02 EDT
Ous:
Good points.

I think scrutinizing the opposition and possible scenarios in the next
election is the prudent thing to do.

I am looking at the numbers here by district and honestly the losses which
the UDP + opposition suffered during the past elections are not
insurmountable.  Some of the margins of victory favoring the APRC were very
high but the overwhelming majority of losses were in the region of 1000 to
1500.  I believe that the small margins of defeat due to the country's small
size is definitely a plus for the UDP and even moreso for a United Opposition
which you support.  The Wa Kombos (Banjul + Kombo) and a few other regions,
especially Kiangs and Baddibous, seemed to be more conscious of the
'illegality of the APRC.  They voted in this manner.  I was also surprised to
note the importance of Serrekunda in terms of its overall effect on the
election numbers.  I believe 100s of 1000s voted in these areas alone.  Kinda
like the importance of California (over 50 electoral votes) towards the total
amount.  In the same way Serrekunda is extremely important. In fact,
critical.  Unfortunately, Mr Sallah has a strong presence in one of the
heaviest voting districts and this will take away form the UDP.

Anyway, I believe the numbers can be overcome (so to speak).  Couple of
things need to be done:
1.  There must be a United Opposition
2. There must be an additional voter drive and voter education asap
3.  The campaign must start now
4.  The sensitization of people to issues aside from human rights must start
now
5. There must be some type of media campaign very soon.  Literature, TV and
Radio

Hopefully, I will have time to write a better analysis from my perspective